Color, Materials & Finishes (CMF) Designer
CMF plays a huge role in the HP re-imagined print experience, and our CMF team is growing!
We’re seeking a CMF Designer with a keen awareness of what’s going on in the world of how macro trends affect product CMF. You must have the ability to make intelligent business choices, focus on strategy across the print LOB, work with internal business partners and manage multiple materials developments. Development experience with resin, textiles, patterns creation, paint, film, metals and sustainable materials is required. Ability to engage with materials suppliers and initiate materials developments from conception through production is a must.
Strong rendering skills are required (KeyShot etc), as well as 2D (Photoshop/Illustrator CS6), Microsoft Office Suite (including PPT), strong organizational skills, out of the box creativity, understanding of manufacturing processes, experience working within the ODM structure, and experience engaging with outside vendors/model shops and consultants is required. Willingness to travel on occasion is essential. You must be an excellent story-teller and capable of articulating the “5 W’s” into compelling and thoughtful presentations. Most importantly, you must have an amazing eye for CMF and the ability to translate customer needs into rock-star solutions.
Technical aptitude and experience with color evaluation and associated equipment is strongly desired, but we recognize that this can be taught to the right candidate.
The CMF Designer will work to research global macro-trends, implement trend findings along with other inputs into intelligent and beautiful CMF recommendations for many different products. This designer will also interface with suppliers and outside vendors to create samples, develop materials and make models. They will also work on high level strategy along with the CMF Lead and advanced materials development. You will be involved in the CMF process from concept through product launch.
• Portfolio required which demonstrates your expertise in CMF
• Experience in Plastics; Paints a plus
• Previous experience interacting with Suppliers
• Storytelling skills, both visually and verbally
• 3D rendering skills (we use Keyshot)
• Real world examples of products that are “on the market” now
• Undergraduate Industrial Design degree and 5-10 years relevant experience or Graduate degree in a related field, plus 4-6 years relevant experience
• Implementation of color, material and finish solutions for multiple brands, creating focused program palettes, being up to date on relevant trends and technologies, and working cross-functionally to support vigorous and evolving timelines.
• Hands on Design Skills (Sketching, 3D CAD/modelling programs, Rendering in KeyShot and other programs, Model, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.)
• Keen awareness of the latest in macro-trends and how said trends impact product CMF
• Capable of carrying a product from concept through development through English communication (written and verbal) and strong story-telling skills.
• Excellent collaboration skills
• Ability to work in fast pace environment
• Experience with technical color and materials evaluation and related equipment, and strong ability to articulate your findings and recommendations preferred but not required
Please include a portfolio link and/or work samples along with your resume!
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.