Imagine working for a company with a mission you can truly believe in, a playful and energetic culture, a talented team of coworkers, and a bright future! Melissa & Doug, the toy company committed to nurturing childhood wonder, is looking for a Furniture Designer. In this role, you’ll be an essential part of our mission to inspire creativity and imagination in children throughout the world with thoughtfully designed toys that spark free play.
Melissa and Doug began working out of a garage in 1988 making toys that inspire. While they’ve grown the company to 2,000 products and 1,000 employees, it still has the heart of a start-up! Since we hire for skill, not resume, you’ll work with playful people from surprising backgrounds. Whether you’re a theater major looking to move into sales or a small business owner wanting to try customer care, we want to hear from you! Join our talented team and you’ll be inspired by your work every day.
You will develop a wide range, of original, RTA (ready-to-assemble) children’s furniture and play spaces. You will design several well-priced collections, working closely with our Product, Graphic and Packaging Designers as well as our Engineers, Product Development and Quality Assurance teams. You should be a creative, self-motivator able to work independently under tight deadlines. You must be able to work from our headquarters in Wilton, CT.
• Develop a range of children’s furniture including chairs, activity tables, play experiences, storage, among others.
• Create several collections with unique features and common design language, starting from sketching, to 3D modeling and prototyping.
• Develop complete product specifications with all components, hardware, materials and finishes fully detailed.
• Work with a variety of woods, hardware and materials including MDF, laminates, and plastics.
• Layout components on sheet to maximize fabrication.
• Know furniture manufacturing best practices to target various price-points.
• Able to create interesting forms while keeping in mind manufacturing limitations.
• Build prototypes in our wood shop when needed.
• Review and provide comments on manufacturing drawings and overseas-made prototypes.
• Correspond with overseas factories to resolve issues.
• Communicate throughout the design process with our Product, Graphic and Packaging Designers as well as our Engineers, Product Development and Quality Assurance teams.
• BA, BFA or equivalent degree in Furniture or Product Design.
• 5+ years of furniture design experience in RTA, ready-to-assemble, preferably in the children’s market.
• Knowledge of overseas manufacturing capabilities and limitations.
• Understanding of Children Product and Furniture Safety Standards
• Complete understanding of design for manufacturing.
• Expert knowledge of Solidworks.
• Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Illustrator.
• Superb attention to detail.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with wide variety of people.
• Ability to work in PC-based environment.
Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Life Insurance, LTD, flexible spending plans, and significant employee discounts
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Melissa & Doug is an equal opportunity employer.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.