Sr. Industrial Designer - Kelty Brand
KELTY is looking for a talented, passionate, outdoor lovin’ designer to join the product design team. Starting in the garage of Dick Kelty, the brand has humble beginnings dating back to 1952. KELTY has since become a trusted brand for backpacking and camping gear. No one believes in work hard, play hard more than KELTY. So, if you’re ready to help push the boundaries of design and gear, check out the details below and apply to join us in the pursuit of outdoor radness!
The Senior Product Designer is responsible for leadership and innovative, creative design concepts and solutions that address the specific product requirements as formalized in the design briefs. This position collaborates with Product Managers to translate design concepts, sketches, drawings, and prototypes into the final product. The Senior Product Designer is responsible for collaborating in ongoing research into new materials, technologies, processes, and design trends that can be utilized to advance the company’s portfolio of products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Formulate and implement product design through:
- Innovating new products under the KELTY design principles. Kelty’s design principles directly coincide with the Outdoor Performance Group’s overall brand strategies. Kelty product will contain more specific design and pattern language that can be interpreted by developers and applied to products through their individual style and design ideology.
- Maintaining and update the Kelty Design Book with design, color, material, findings, and logo standards, and working to make sure all products are designed following these standards.
- Work with in-house innovation and development teams to push Kelty products forward in terms of new construction and materials.
- Coordination with Director of Kelty Product Development to continually improve product design communications with domestic and overseas vendors.
- Identifying new processes and procedures that will help increase the efficiency of the product design to development cycle.
- Ability to communicate effective color strategies that can be applied to specific product stories, assuring consistency through the Kelty brand.
- Ensuring effective, and efficient communication process between Product Manager, Developer, and sample maker.
- Maintaining familiarity with the latest market trends, new technologies, and product requirements emerging from each of these markets.
- Exceptional technical specification package creation conveying design communication (sketches, renderings, illustrations, BOM’s) for any prototyping and manufacturing application.
- Communicating clear, language-barrier-free understandable, and comprehensive design which can be interpreted by an overseas vendor/product developer and translated into an accurate, functional prototypes.
- Understanding and interpretation of market and retailer trends and knowledge of competitors' products, pricing, styling, fabrications, and sales programs.
- Exceptional presentation skills communicating product concepts, prototypes and samples.
- Testing working prototypes to ensure any newly developed design features function as intended.
- Ability to interpret product testing and evaluate the results in a way that improves a products functionality, style, quality, and success in the marketplace.
Work with Kelty’s VP, Sales Managers and Marketing Director to manage the implementation of marketing, merchandising, trade show, public relations and promotion strategies.
Collecting industry and market intelligence to enable the ongoing planning process
Must be able to lead cross functional project teams on defined timelines. Position has current direct reports.
- Passionate user of outdoor equipment including tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, and other related gear.
- B.A. or equivalent, preferably in Industrial Design or related fields.
- Minimum of 5+ years product design experience. Experience in the Outdoor Industry preferred but not required
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite; including Illustrator, Photoshop, and Indesign. Knowledge of Alias, Solid Works, Sketchbook Pro, and Rhino is a plus.
- Excellent presentation, verbal, written and communication skills to demonstrate thorough design research and ideation process that culminate in design solutions that meet timeline, costing, and manufacturing constraints.
- Balance creative problem solving with a pragmatic and detailed approach to commercially viable product design.
- Knowledge of pattern making and an understanding technical industrial manufacturing to ensure an efficient communication process between the PD team and factory.
- Ability and desire to be a “hands-on” designer, including rapid prototyping and proof on concept.
- Sewing experience a plus
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes for textiles and applications of coatings, finishes, and foams, composites, and metals.
- Must have international travel experience to industry trade shows, development trips and retailer presentations. (10-20%)
- Must be able to lead cross functional project teams on defined timelines
- Strategic, Innovative, “Out of the box” thinker
- Strong leadership skills; ability to lead a high-performance team
- Proven track record of success in consumer product development and management.
- Excellent interpersonal and management skills to deal with customers, outside vendors and suppliers.
- Analytical skills for evaluating product performance.
- International experience; ability to work with teams in overseas liaison offices and suppliers.
- Enthusiasm, drive, and a positive attitude
- Self-Motivated to achieve personal and team goals
- Design communication (sketches, renderings, illustrations) and ability to an effective development package, which can be sent overseas to begin the sampling portion of the product development cycle.
- Capable of presenting product concepts, prototypes and samples to interdisciplinary teams.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.