User Experience Researcher
Position Title: User Experience Researcher
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Reports To: Manager of User Experience Research
The future of Newell Brands and the on-going success of its consumer and commercial products depends on a continual stream of design excellence, collaborative ideation and resulting innovation.
Newell Brands is focused on building an innovation engine driven by our design and development vision within Newell Brands. The Design and Ideation teams have built strong partnerships with Marketing, Consumer Insights, and Research & Development in support of our efforts. As we move forward, our goal is to continue to grow and mature the design teams to a deep commercial capability and consumer sensitivity while at the same time leveraging our talents and knowledge to respond to design based needs worldwide.
We believe that innovation comes from the minds of all Newell Brands employees as well as our customers and consumers. To that end, we actively stimulate collaboration, visualize opportunity and help propose product concepts that are offered up via both formal and informal methodologies throughout the company. The Design team acts as ideation agents, continually driving to our goal of encouraging the development of better ideas and processes for growth.
Our world class design teams are located in three primary state of the art hubs that include Kalamazoo Michigan, Chicago Illinois and Hoboken New Jersey. These creative centers have been carefully planned to foster creativity and maximize the sharing of ideas and technologies among the company’s brands and process partners. Due to our continued growth, the Design and Ideation group at Newell is seeking talented individuals who want to join our team and help lead us into the future. To learn more about the Design team at Newell Brands please visit Design and Ideation - Newell Brands.
There’s never been a more exciting time to join Newell Brands!
Summary: As a User Experience Researcher, you will collaborate closely with other User Experience Researchers, Industrial Designers and Graphic Designers to create user experiences for the next generation of consumer products. In this role you will work to define and test the user experience between users and our products. This role requires an individual who can work independently as well as directly with our US based Design Team. The role offers opportunities to collaborate with Marketing, R&D, Consumer Market Insights, etc. across a wide array of office locations.
• Work closely with the members of the Usability & Experience Design team to interface with key Segments relative to usability issues and opportunities
• Support user experience activities for key projects within a division
• Work closely with design counterparts to effectively deliver industry leading user experience solutions
• Partner closely with all relevant divisions to ensure the deployment and adherence to established human factors design guidelines. Also own and maintain those guidelines and update/modify as required to keep relevant.
• Help deliver cutting edge user experience (human factors, usability, cognitive engineering, etc.) skills and services to the relevant Segments
• Effectively execute user-centered design activities and research throughout the product development process
• Conduct usability and ergonomic research
• Education: Minimum Masters of Science in Human Factors Engineering, Cognitive Psychology, Ergonomics/Anthropometrics or related field
• Communication: Excellent communication, presentation and negotiation skills
• Data Visualization: Understands that basics of data visualization and can help visualize and present rich research data simply and clearly
• Human Factors Engineering & Ergonomics: Knows where to look for specific information about ergonomic/anthropometric data, heuristics and understanding previous user research and conducts basis analysis ergonomic analysis based on anthropometric data
• Research Methodologies: Understand the various research methodologies
• Data Collection: Understands the various physiological data collection equipment available
• Data Analysis & Translation: Ability to conduct basic statistical analysis and input findings into a report
• User Centered Design: Ability to participate in all of the activities in the User Centered Design process from the initial information gathering to testing and documentation/specifications
• Usability Testing: Ability to conduct an entire usability study: moderate, take notes, plan and design the research activities
• Teams: Demonstrated ability to work effectively across cross functional work teams
• Motivation: Self-motivated and flexible; willing to learn new things
• Travel: Ability to occasionally travel and work internationally
• Technical Experience: MS Visio, Statistical Software (i.e. SPSS, etc.), Adobe Creative Suite (preferred) and MS Office
Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Jostens, Marmot, Rawlings, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Rubbermaid Commercial Products, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, Waddington and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.