User Experience Digital Design Manager (UX)- Boise
UX Digital Design Manager
Direct Hire opportunity in Boise, ID
Interested in changing the world? At HP we believe that technology should make life better for everyone, everywhere. This vision guides everything we do and how we do it. In our Office Printing Solutions organization, we have an exciting leadership role within our Digital Design team that will help deliver upon our vision.
We are nestled the Rocky Mountains in beautiful Boise, Idaho. One of the nation’s best kept secrets. Wonderful outdoor activities like skiing, mountain biking, world-class trout fishing, and white water rafting are right out your back door. Low-cost living and friendly people make Boise an easy choice for young adults and families.
As a Digital Design Manager for HP, our ideal candidate must be able to think strategically and translate business needs and insights into action with scalable user-centered solutions. You must be a change agent with a proven ability to transform and cultivate a modern experience design team. You embrace growing the overall effectiveness of the UX competency and build sustainable processes for the team. A passion for designing innovative user experiences informed by user research, industry best practices, and iterative testing. You must be responsive, flexible, and able to deal with ambiguity within an open and collaborative (in-person and remote) peer environment. A successful candidate for this position is at ease visualizing solutions then driving that vision into solid design deliverables that achieve user goals and business requirements. Above all you fiercely put our users at the center of everything we do.
• 10+ years of design management experience with a demonstrated track record of success in designing multiple simultaneous, complex systems in a fast paced, collaborative environment.
• MA or PHD preferred with a focus in user-centered design, Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, Interaction Design; or 10 years equivalent experience working as a Human Factors Engineer or an interaction designer plus proven leadership and project management skills.
• Charismatic leadership style with excellent collaboration and communication skills.
• Able to interact effectively with product and development teams at all levels, fostering strong relationships.
• Able to dive into the details (when needed) in order to keep management well informed on status.
• Strong leadership, project management, consensus building, negotiation, and decision-making skills, coupled with sound judgment.
• Able to lead, inspire, and organize design teams to deliver top-notch experiences through user-centric design methodologies.
• Communication and presentation skills. The ability to clearly present work, and articulate the rationale for the decisions that led to it.
• High degree of emotional intelligence and active listening skills. The ability to maintain undivided attention and appreciate interpersonal differences. An openness to opinions that challenge beliefs, and a willingness to evolve based on new information.
• Project confidence and the ability to offer a vision that encourages people to follow and take part.
• The confidence and self-motivation to drive forward projects that improve our user's experience.
• An online portfolio that demonstrates an unfailing advocacy for the user, highlighting: digital design work, mobile design work, analytical decision-making, and strategic thinking.
• Craft intuitive and shippable product experiences, leveraging HP Print UX design standards and industry best practices.
• Produce design deliverables utilizing the Sketch app, Invision and/or other prototyping tools.
• Detailed site maps, user flows/task flows, user journeys, page flows, taxonomies/folksonomies, paths to purchase, etc.
• Wireframes, annotations, and prototypes that represent interaction recommendations.
• Detailed visuals and mockups.
• Lead cross-functional design reviews for all necessary deliverables.
User Research Responsibilities
• Evaluate competitor and industry solutions to provide a meaningful analysis of the findings.
• Determine and plan appropriate research and test methodologies including the following techniques: user interviews, usability testing, resonance testing, task analysis, contextual inquiry, card sorting, etc.
• Extremely familiar with user experience design, product management, engineering, and agile development environments and able to turn complex use cases into intuitive and shippable product experiences.
• Oversee, plan, and scope UX team projects (rather than executing each project).
• Develop and own a design process that enables efficiency/speed and ensures a positive and ever-improving user experience and team culture.
• Demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills. Be a thought leader who can take a step back on overarching goals and opportunities, while also acting as a product practitioner who can meticulously work alongside his/her teams with domain knowledge and design prowess.
• Establish design acceptance criteria for the product, and ensure that the implementation meets design standards.
• Play a leadership role in resolving unclear direction or unknown variables.
• The ability to engage in strategy discussions. Weigh tradeoffs between business, technical, and customer contexts.
• Mentoring of designers with less experience to improve their skillset.
• Manage the development of team members through dedicated mentorship, or less formal coaching and advice.
• Recognize the staffing needs of the team, and the ability to recruit and hire new talent.
• Management and oversight of multiple smaller teams. This includes determining how teams realize a strategy.
• Mobilize GXD team members to serve as liaisons between business, creative, and technical teams, and work with development teams to help design workflows and user interfaces that effectively support user needs.
• Build, grow, and manage a team of user experience, and user interface designers.
• Provide GXD budgeting, scoping, and project definition creation.
• Manage all aspects of the Digital Team’s staffing, training, managing, and product deliverables end to end for multiple projects.
• Work closely with Product Managers and peers to help align product development with customer needs and effectively translate into best-in-class solutions.
• Collaborate with key product stakeholders to understand and support business goals for existing and new products, and to ensure those goals are supported in the solution design.
• Work with UX/ID team to plan, usability test, develop success criteria, analyze results, and provide recommendations.
Please note: Candidates should include an updated resume (Word or PDF) AND a Portfolio link/design samples when applying
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.