Junior Designer - Industrial & Utility Footwear
We are looking for a bright, passionate Junior Designer to join our Industrial and Utility team. We've been creating Comfortably Tough designs to keep industrial workers feet safe since 1960, and our industrial product lines are more popular than ever. From Posties to Panel Beaters and everything in between. There's a lot more to safety footwear than a steel toecap, and if you're a recent graduate in Industrial Design, or have recently completed a placement in Performance footwear we would love to hear from you.
You don't necessarily need to have a background in footwear design specifically, but you DO need to be interested in Footwear, and have a real affinity with the Dr Martens brand and our rich heritage.
What you'll be responsible for:
Delivering commercial footwear designs, in-keeping with Dr Martens Core Values which address the seasonal briefs. Continue to evolve technologies, constructions and cosmetics.
Quality Product Design:
• Assist the senior designer in all aspects of design process for the Industrial and utility product categories.
• Design footwear to briefs with innovative and commercial concepts relevant to Dr Martens and meet cost targets.
• Complete all projects to the Design/Product development timeline and effectively manage time between seasonal and longer term projects.
• Propose new product ideas to improve the current Dr Martens offering based on personal research findings.
• Create 3D computer models of the team’s designs.
• Influence and assist with R&D projects across the business.
Design Market Trends/Conceptual Research:
• Assist in the creation of the Seasonal Direction Document
• Conduct market research at retail and trade shows and through any other innovative medium/platform and communicate effectively back to the team.
• Undertake consumer research online and face to face.
Development of Prototypes/Samples:
• Produce detailed techpacks to communicate designs to the Development team.
• Work with the Development team to create prototypes that meet the deadlines required on the Design/Product calendar and continue to liaise with the development team and suppliers throughout the season.
• Create and modify engineering drawings to product high quality moulded components.
• Assist with presentation (internal and external) from concept to final review on all delegated projects
• Present seasonal concepts and articulate product information to the business
• Prepare materials and samples for presentations.
• Work closely with the sourcing department to gain knowledge of leather, outsoles, lasts and manufacturing to validate and improve design output.
• Interact with the Product, Marketing and Sales teams to gain insight into the wider business.
• Work with the Senior designers within the team to develop personal design skills and contribute to improvement of design process.
YOUR FUNDAMENTAL QUALITIES
It’s never just a job at Dr. Martens. It’s a way of life. We live and breathe our Fundamentals - INTEGRITY. PROFESSIONAL. PASSIONATE. TEAM PLAYERS. They define who we are and how we get the job done. We believe each role is as unique as the person who does it. To be our Junior Industrial Designer you will also possess these qualities:
1-3 years in footwear design ideally for safety, sports performance or outdoor brands. Other non-footwear / product design experience considered. Understanding of biomechanics and design for mass manufacture highly desirable
Strong sketching skills, Vector graphics and Photoshop rendering skills. Competent 3D modelling on Rhino or other applications. Ability to produce 2D Engineering drawings and 3D computer models. Some experience with Rapid Prototyping.
Proven ability to work to a brief, understand and conform to current product legislation and translate 2D designs into 3D prototypes.
Ideally possess a Good Working knowledge of footwear constructions and processes. Knowledge of production moulding processes and materials in footwear and other products. Excellent problem solving skills and a willingness to learn and develop specific knowledge areas relevant to the business.
Happy to travel internationally 4-5 times per year
Our Company culture is one of encouraging an appreciation for those possessing a proud sense of self-expression. Our British origins give us a self-deprecating sense of humour; yet we are unashamedly focused about the business of making high quality boots and shoes.
At Dr Martens we do things a bit differently. We aren’t a corporate brand. We don’t mind how you dress, if you have piercings or tattoos, or if you dye your hair. We love the things that make us original that no-one can imitate. Our customers are all different, so it makes sense that our people are too – We want to inspire the next generation of DM’s wearers and they will come from all walks of life!
Please send a copy of your CV, detailing why you'd be the perfect person to wear these boots, along with a Sample of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org
No Agencies Please.
How To Apply