Why Work for Us?
The Michaels Companies, Inc., is North America’s largest arts and crafts specialty retailer, with more than 1,340 stores in the United States and Canada. Our store team, distribution and manufacturing center team, and support center team work together to help our customers bring their creativity to life. We offer career growth, benefits packages, retirement plans, tuition reimbursement, and more. Michaels Team Members also enjoy a wide variety of ways to save including discounts at our stores, select fitness and childcare centers, restaurants, hotels, and more.
The Michaels support center is located in Irving, Texas. We call our corporate office a “support center” because everything we do there helps to support the retail stores. It’s a creative, challenging and collaborative place to grow your career.
Basic Function: The Designer is a member of our Product Design Team and plays a key role within our integrated Product Development team. The Designer is responsible for developing creative, unique, and trend right product to support Michaels exclusive private brand lines. The Designer reports directly to a Manager - Design and collaborates with Associate Designers, Trend Managers, Product Managers, Director of Product Development and Category Directors/Managers (Buyers) for their assigned category(s).
What will you be doing?
• Utilizes design technical skills in Photoshop & Illustrator to create designs, illustrations, and piece types that represent the target customer and are aligned with brand direction.
• Translates conceptual inspiration into product, patterns, icons, and typography to support core businesses and brand development.
• Collaborates with internal Trend Team to create original pattern and icons to support company seasonal trends.
• Creates and executes production artwork & technical spec packs for new product concepts.
Product Design Support
• Maintains comprehensive understanding of target customer and current Michaels category assortments.
• Reports trend observations by shopping and navigating both store and online resources to identify new product opportunities.
• Builds style guides & inspiration guides to support new concept development.
• Collaborates with Product Manager to prepare/deliver new concepts for project kickoff meetings with business partners.
• Attends sample reviews and provides design execution feedback for Product Manager and Category Manager (Buyer) partners.
• Responsible for all key calendar and milestone design deliverables
• Travels domestically to attend tradeshows or internationally for product development when applicable.
• Provides support on special projects, initiatives, and other tasks as needed
Minimum level of formal education: Bachelors or Master in Design or Design Related Field
Area of study: Product Design, Graphic Design, Fine Art, Fashion Design, Illustration
Special certification or technical skills:
• Strong working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator (Adobe In-Design a plus) on a Mac Platform.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office software and effective presentation skills.
• Ability to illustrate concepts through hand sketching and creating hand written typography a plus.
• Clear and effective verbal and written communication along with strong interpersonal skills
Minimum years experience required
• Minimum of 3+ years equivalent work experience in product design and/or illustration with a major retailer, manufacturer, brand or design firm.
• Design experience in at least one category or industry that involved developing icons, graphics, prints, and repeat patterns.
• Experience in arts and crafts, home décor, and seasonal products a plus.
Travel May be Required: Must have the ability to travel both domestically and/or internationally as business needs permit.
How To Apply