The Visual Designer works as a member of the Creative Strategy and Development team to sustain and grow Ithaca College’s brand, assuring a cohesive and evolving visual identity throughout all initiatives and projects. The Visual Designer produces intelligent, inspiring design concepts that are uniquely compelling and effective, targeting all of the college’s key audiences, communication vehicles and channels. Creative work includes but is not limited to magazines, recruitment materials, brochures, booklets, websites, email templates and newsletters, advertisements, display and other promotional-related projects. The Visual Designer assures work follows the College brand and graphic identity standards. The position requires close collaboration with all members of our department as well as our campus partners to develop on-brand, strategic work.
· Work in conjunction with the Design Director, the Executive Director, and the creative team as a cross-platform designer in support of a strong, consistent brand identity.
· Produce work for all mediums, including print, Web, email, and promotional products for a variety of audiences, including prospective and current students, alumni, faculty, staff, parents, and friends of the college.
· Apply understanding of the “bigger picture” in a creative way, keeping in mind the mission and strategic goals of the department, unit, and College.
· Implement the College’s visual guidelines to maintain integrity of IC branding
· Stay abreast of the latest design trends and technology and experiment with how to integrate them into the organization’s brand.
· Conceptualize, organize, and create cost effective designs for digital and print publications within a budget, timeline, and other potential constraints.
· Prepare sketches and layouts; select elements for the design, such as colors, artwork, photography, animation, style of type; select the appropriate materials for the final product.
· Work closely with the campus Print Shop and external printing vendors to ensure the quality and intention for print designs.
· Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
· Bachelor’s degree in the arts, graphic design or related field (or 4 years of progressively demanding design work) and a minimum of 2 years of design experience;
· In-depth knowledge of design concepts, print and electronic composition, portfolio illustrating strong skills in concepting and developing high-quality visuals that displays a keen understanding of user-centric design approach to marketing and branding in all mediums;
Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment;
· Clear understanding of visual system, robust typographic skills and enthusiasm for creating visual narratives;
· Solid working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software;
· Experience working directly with clients and partners preferred;
· Experience with content management systems preferred;
· Experience working with print vendors, creating files for print and attending press checks preferred;
· Experience building/creating extensive visual brand guides a plus;
· Knowledge of the education market – teachers, students, school administrators a plus.
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume and cover letter. Please also provide a link to a design portfolio that includes print, web, and/or multimedia samples. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
How To Apply