About Sylvain Labs
Sylvain Labs is an innovation consultancy based in New York City with offices in Richmond, Virginia and Amsterdam, Netherlands. We apply our imagination to complex business problems and opportunities. We’re a team with experience in product strategy, service design, user experience strategy, product development, creative and brand strategy and management consulting. We blend our skills to help companies think about their brands and products differently.
Designers at Sylvain Labs work on small teams with strategists applying imagination to complex business problems and opportunities. We help develop brands and re-imagine products, using creativity (and elbow grease!) to bring strategy to life.
The fast-paced landscape of diverse clients and projects requires designers who can ideate, execute, and pivot quickly; they are highly-organized, patient, and flexible. In this role, you will create work at varying levels — from quick and dirty site comps designed for testing, to packaging concepts that look real, to production-ready editorial pieces and fully-realized brand identities. You should be prepared to offer opinions about the most effective way to realize a concept and then jump in and execute. You should feel comfortable working independently with little to no direction or oversight, and also enjoy collaborating with other designers, pushing and refining one another’s work.
What to Expect
- Interact with clients and teammates possessing varying levels of familiarity with design. You should feel comfortable walking through your process, presenting finished work, defending recommendations, and negotiating compromises.
- Collaborate with people in a variety of roles. You'll be working with strategic thinkers, each with different backgrounds and working styles, to come to elegant solutions that compel clients. Be ready to speak the language of design to manage work, brief freelancers, and actualization the end goal.
- Create, build, and refine client-facing presentations, templates, and proposals. You'll be tasked with elevating strategic work to make it look its best employing killer layout skills.
- Develop brand identities, graphic standards, and brand books.
- Design, produce, and assist in the development of packaging, websites, apps, environmental designs, infographics, reports, and editorial pieces (e.g. magazines and books).
- Build lifestyle and product mood boards based on demographics, imaginary consumers, or future-forward markets and behaviors.
What We’re Looking For
- 4 - 6 years professional design experience (agency experience preferred to in-house)
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) and Keynote; comfortable working in G Suite (Google) and MS Office Suite.
- Strong organization skills. Previous project management experience is a plus.
- A strong ‘generalist’ designer — we value breadth over depth. Someone with a diverse set of skills who is eager to tackle whatever comes their way.
- A heavy lifter who can juggle multiple projects, manage their own workflow, and keeps cool under tight deadlines.
- A layout aficionado — someone who can quickly transform a messy worksheet or drab deck into something sharp, powerful, and balanced.
- An articulate communicator and presenter — someone who can speak about their discipline with expertise and is also comfortable discussing design with non-designers, or those with varying levels of familiarity.
Why Sylvain Labs
Our clients are vast and varied – Google, Spotify, Airbnb, Nike, General Motors, Pepsico, AB InBev, LVMH, Calvin Klein, and Samsung, to name a few. You’ll have the opportunity to work across industries, expanding your experience and diversifying your portfolio.
We bring in lots of projects that turn over quickly. There is always a new topic to think about, task to tackle, problem to solve. It’s almost impossible to get bored.
The design team’s structure is completely flat. Designers support the breadth of work coming in, which means they divide and conquer, sharing equally in the indulgent and practical work streams, without outside delegation or creative direction.
Thank you for your interest! Please send us your resume, a link to your portfolio, and a short note about yourself using the link on our website.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.