Want to join a company that is all about championing the power of play by creating quality toys and games for children, adults and families. PlayMonster is the perfect combination of playful and professional, and true play experts because we understand play for ALL AGES!
The Product Designer is responsible for taking products from concept through production under specific timelines by creating renderings, sketches, layouts, designing products, quote packages and data analysis for products within the toy and game industry. This position will focus on the user experience in creating style and function for a particular product.
The job functions listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This position may be required to perform additional and/or different responsibilities from those set forth below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Conceptualizes, illustrates and communicates new product concepts through sketching, mockups, and 3-D models.
• Evaluates current and proposed products based on factors such as visual aesthetics, human factors, design-function relationships, serviceability, materials and methods engineering, application, budget, production costs and specifications.
• Evaluates, analyzes, and makes recommendations on products, designs, and cost improvements to improve the competitive position of the product and communicates this information internally and to overseas operations.
• Prepares Bill of Material, concise quote packages, and final product specifications.
• Examines materials, processes, Bill of Materials, and production costs to determine optimum manufacturing requirements.
• Participates in creation of concept research product definition: idea generation, feasibility, specifications, concept visions and models in a team environment.
• Exercises discretion and independent judgment on the development of new products and product improvements.
• Closely monitors and analyzes competitive design trends and consumer activities in both U.S. and foreign markets.
• Evaluates product safety, appearance, and function to determine if the product architecture is practical, robust, marketable and manufacturable.
• Provides design and technical guidance to the design team along with advises and mentors Product Designers with less experience.
• Prepares sketches, mock ups, ‘B’ sheets, 3-D models and / or prototypes as necessary.
• Presents concepts designs and demonstrate prototypes to team for approval
• Creates pre-production check models via 3D software and 3D printer.
• Researches who will use a particular product, and the various ways it might be used.
• Works with other team members, including but not limited to marketing, operations and team in China to evaluate whether the design concepts will fill a need at a reasonable cost.
• Assess product in development finding cost efficiencies through investigation of vendors, materials and processes.
• Performs technical analysis of competitive products.
• Communicates with and occasionally visits overseas factories to monitor production activities.
• Procures materials needed to construct prototypes.
• Interprets extensive variety of technical instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
• Participates towards general office tasks and self-management of duties.
• Establishes attainable deadlines with supervisor that must be met.
• Perform other duties that may be assigned.
• Bachelor's degree (B.A.) in Industrial Design or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university; with 1-2 years’ experience in product development operations / production; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience managing, mentoring and coaching design team.
• Strong sketching ability, rapid visualization and “ideation”.
• Proficiency in Solid Works, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and MS Office applications.
• Understanding of product architecture definition to match specifications and various age driven motor and cognitive skills.
• Knowledgeable of plastics, resins and printing basics and have a strong focus on the design, aesthetic elements and manufacturability of products.
• Ability to create a vision and be capable of reducing that vision to practice.
• Ability to manage a project from conceptualization to implementation.
• Electronic skills preferred
• Valid driver’s license and US Passport
• Ability to collaborate and work effectively with creative design team, internal departments including but not limited to operations, marketing and sales; and external offshore vendors and factories.
• Ability to assess product obstacles and use design skills/experience to successfully complete the project.
• Possess good design sensitivity in regard to colors and trends
• Working knowledge of customary business practices.
• Requires high aptitude and strong knowledge of designing mechanisms that are an integral part of the design of the product.
• Problem solving and troubleshooting capabilities, execution skills.
• Regular attendance at work location
• Ability to travel internationally if necessary
Email cover letter, resume and link to portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org
How To Apply