Senior Manager, Design Insights
What's cool about this job
The Senior Manager of Design Insights contributes to REI’s success by enabling our design teams to gain an accurate and deep intuitive understanding of consumers and their relationships with our products. By fostering a connection between the design team and our consumers, we are able to identify new product opportunities and enhance current product experiences. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
• Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
• Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
• Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
• Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
• Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
• Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
• Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
• Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
• Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
• Manage and lead the Design Insights team to deliver insight that support the Brands total strategic direction and meets Global commercial targets.
• Act as a strong advocate for product integrity by working closely with Divisional leaders and related support services to uphold quality standards and maintain competitive advantages.
Bring your passion and expertise
• 8 years experience in customer insights and enabling teams to gain accurate and deep intuition and understanding of consumers and their relationships with product.
• Bachelor degree in design/research design preferred
• Able to create research plans that support design team in all categories.
• Ability to efficiently synthesize and communicate complex information to stakeholders, i.e., strong interpretive, verbal, written, video and visual presentations to communicate consumer insights and needs.
• Able to bring VOC (voice on consumer) into design process.
• Masterful leader and teammate: able to work across all design teams seamlessly, people orientated, passionate, enthusiastic, insightful, intelligent, committed, positive, engaged.
• Unrelenting focus on and commitment to current and potential REI member and customer.
• 3 + years management experience
• Proficient in Illustrator, PowerPoint, Video editing.
• Strong graphic design abilities preferred.
• Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
• Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
• Establishes trust and inspires others.
• Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
• Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
• Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
• Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
• Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
• Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
• Fosters change in company direction.
• Effectively plans and executes changes.
Why you'll love it here
We are a team of creative, passionate people who love the outdoors. We bring our love of the outdoors into our daily work to create amazing products and brand experiences exclusively for REI’s customers.
We’re passionate about delivering compelling, meaningful products in the market. Whether it’s heading out for a weekend of backpacking, a long bike ride or just a walk in the rain. We are guided by our values of authenticity, quality, services, respect, integrity and balance. By joining the REI Private Brands team, you have the opportunity to make a difference, be challenged to create excellence and enrich our creative community.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How To Apply