Assistant Professor - Industrial Design/Product Design
To become part of an exciting and ambitious academic vision, we are seeking qualified candidates with the capacity for conducting original creative work and research as well as teach in industrial and/or product design. Ideal candidates will have a record of education and experience that emphasizes strong materially-grounded practice, technological innovation, human-centered design and the application of principles of sustainability; and, an interest in and capacity to extend object-based research and creative practice to systems, experiences and interactions. Candidates are expected to have a commitment to and demonstrated experience in interdisciplinary collaboration. The ability to integrate service and participatory design, a background or interest in entrepreneurship, and the potential to generate external funding are highly desirable.
Duties and Expectations
• Maintain a research and/or creative practice agenda commensurate with faculty rank.
• Teach four courses per academic year in area of expertise. The successful candidate will teach a range of studio-based courses from undergraduate foundations to the graduate level.
• Advise students and participate in student recruitment activities.
• Serve the School and University through participation in committees and faculty governance activities.
An MDes or equivalent degree.
• PhD preferred.
• Emerging designers whose record of creative work/research and/or industry experience demonstrates a trajectory for developing a national and international reputation. University-level teaching experience a plus.
• Industry experience in relevant areas.
• Demonstrated experience and commitment to research / creative work and/or teaching in an interdisciplinary manner with faculty, students, and professionals in other disciplines.
• A strong commitment to and experience working with socially-engaged / community-based practices and sustainable and resilient design practices.
• Demonstrated commitment to excellence by providing leadership in teaching, research, or service toward building an equitable and diverse scholarly environment.
• Dedicated to working at the intersection of art and design pedagogy with the ability to extend one’s practice beyond a primary area of specialization.
• Well prepared to teach in a developmental way across the curricula and to both undergraduate and graduate students.
Applications must be submitted online via the University’s employment portal: https://stamps.umich.edu/about/employment
How To Apply