Responsible for the progression of an idea from concept to realisation. This includes the key play features, actual workings and features of the product, presenting to management, writing specifications, resolving technical design issues, and performing the model and off-tool review.
• Knowledge and experience of consumer products (toy industry highly regarded);
• An solid understanding of (but not limited to):
→ tooling / injection moulding / moulding of hard goods
→ plastics - material selection, properties and specification
→ production and assembly of plastic consumer items
→ printing processes
→ basic quality assurance
→ basic pattern-making / cut and sew for plush product
• Ability to think creatively;
• Ability to think in 3D and create CAD assemblies;
• Basic model making skills;
• Strong sketching skills;
• Methodical and attentive to detail;
• Excellent computer skills with preferred knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Solidworks;
• Effective communication skills with experience presenting ideas to senior management;
• Able to work effectively in cross-functional teams;
• Problem solving capabilities;
• A strong interest in social and cultural trends and fashions;
• An ability to build and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, Senior Management and customers; and Good time management with the ability to work to deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
• Relevant tertiary qualification (Product / Industrial Design degree).
• 5 years experience in a similar role.
• Develop and drive innovative, market-leading design concepts that are on-trend, on price, and suitable for production;
• Collaborating with the Design team to assist in the further development of products from approved concept through to production;
• Incorporate factors influencing product design such as cost, selection of materials, production methods, new technologies, safety/quality assurance, trends, ergonomics, play pattern, etc;
• Create technical specification packages;
• Solve design issues regarding form, configuration of internal components and general appearance, incorporating feedback from the management and the Design Teams;
• Ensure product positioning in the market reflects current toy trends;
• Actively research the market place, other toy companies, vendors and trade fairs for trends, ideas, samples and information that will lead to and support new ideas for products and brand extensions
• Follow electronic and physical internal filing operating procedures; and
• Assist Marketing team with presentation material and samples for TV ads, toy fairs and external presentations.
Please upload a Resume and a Portfolio of relevant work examples.
How To Apply