Associate Art Director
W.W. Norton & Company is seeking an Associate Art Director for their trade hardcover division. This position is responsible for designing and art directing original cover designs for a portion of our hardcover list. The Associate Art Director must bring a critical eye for design, above average communication skills, as well as an autonomous and organized workflow as both a designer and art director. Understanding the publishing industry, cover design nuance, and possessing an overall passion forcreative thinking is a must. The Junior Designer will report to both the Trade Design Director and Executive Art Director of Hardcovers.
Other Core Responsibilities Include:
• Art Direct freelancers on 5-8 titles per list (15-24 titles per year).
• Design 5-8 titles per list (15-24 titles per year).
• Minimum of 5-6 years of design experience at or for a publishing company.
• Must have a versatile style and feel comfortable working across multiple genres of trade publishing.
• Various other tasks as assigned by their manager(s).
• Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Critical eye for design.
• Inspired to think independently and creative.
• Must be able to efficiently manage their own workload and work well with freelance talent.
• Motion graphics knowledge a plus, but not required.
• Fluency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
• Ability to work standard business hours in Norton’s NYC office.
• Employment eligibility to work in the United States is required.
Please note - this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry”. For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
How To Apply