Senior Director, Design
Who We Are
Do you want to join an incredibly passionate and talented team in a fast-growing company that is blazing trails in the world’s largest media industry?
Callisto Media is an innovative technology and intellectual property company revolutionizing the book publishing industry by using proprietary tools to identify and meet consumer demand. Founded in 2011, we consistently create titles year after year with recurring demand in popular Non-Fiction categories such as Cooking, Health, Wellness, Fitness, Mindfulness, Business, Crafts, and many other general reference topics. With offices in the Bay Area, Silicon Valley, and New York City, we are experiencing tremendous growth and are seeking a Senior Director, Design who can help fuel our next wave of expansion.
Integral components of our longstanding success are impactful cover designs and appealing interiors that are strategically and analytically positioned to quickly engage consumers at point of sale. Our experienced teams of data scientists and publishing veterans work closely to create books readers want to buy. In recognition of our exceptional targeting, superior quality, and rapid growth, we have been ranked one of the top two fastest growing publishers by Publishers Weekly in each of the last three years. Please view a sample of our work at the following link: https://indd.adobe.com/view/4b1e4d39-d976-4bf5-8911-c6164bd3b80d
The Senior Director, Design at Callisto Media reports to the President and is responsible for the daily operation of the Emeryville, California Design Department; this includes the production of covers, interiors, photography, and illustration. The Senior Director, Design guides Department workflow and resources to support an aggressive increase in high quality product output, and works to ensure maximum team productivity and engagement. The Senior Director, Design also manages the Cover Design Director and Design Director, and works to ensure maximum team productivity and engagement.
The ideal candidate has proven experience as a creative and operational leader, including managing the design and production of four-color Trade books in a fast-paced working environment, mentoring design staff, and optimizing performance and productivity as an organization scales. Expert skills in managing freelancers and in-house staff, an extensive network of creative resources, as well as an established track record in collaborating successfully with in-house Editorial, Sales, and Marketing teams are a must.
Production and Workflow Management
• Monitor daily production and ensure consistent and timely completion of deliverables
• Continually optimize and streamline workflow as we scale
Performance and Quality Management
• Ensure high quality product output at scale
• Reinforce adherence to timelines and processes
Leadership and Communication
• Manage Design Department
• Champion and engage company culture
• Facilitate Design communication and partnership with in-house teams
Desired Skills and Experience
• 12+ years of creative direction and operational management experience
• Established track record in successfully leading complex print and digital projects from concept to completion
• Extensive portfolio demonstrating mastery in editorial design
• In-depth knowledge of print production and project management processes
• Expertise in developing and adhering to rigorous, process-oriented design and production workflows
• Excellent expense and resource management skills
• Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with great attention to detail
• Expert knowledge of current tools and resources for design production
• Superior organizational skills with the ability to effectively multi-task, prioritize, and meet tight deadlines
• Strong orientation toward data-driven decision making
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
• Adaptability in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment
• Expert proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
• Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or equivalent education and experience
Callisto Media offers a competitive salary, full benefits, 401K, stock options, and a friendly working environment. This is a full-time, onsite position at our office in Emeryville, California. Please submit a resume, digital samples of your work or your online portfolio, salary requirements, and a cover letter describing why you are an ideal candidate.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.