Do you want to join an incredibly passionate and talented team in a fast-growing company that is blazing trails in the world’s largest media industry?
Callisto Media is an innovative technology and intellectual property company revolutionizing the book publishing industry by using proprietary tools to identify and meet consumer demand. Founded in 2011, we consistently create titles year after year with recurring demand in popular Non-Fiction categories such as Cooking, Health, Wellness, Fitness, Mindfulness, Business, Crafts, and many other general reference topics. With offices in the Bay Area, Silicon Valley, and New York City, we are experiencing tremendous growth and are seeking a Design Director who can help fuel our next wave of expansion.
Integral components of our longstanding success are impactful cover designs and appealing interiors that are strategically and analytically positioned to quickly engage consumers at point of sale. Our experienced teams of data scientists and publishing veterans work closely to create books readers want to buy. In recognition of our exceptional targeting, superior quality, and rapid growth, we have been ranked one of the top two fastest growing publishers by Publishers Weekly in each of the last three years. Please view a sample of our work at the following link: https://indd.adobe.com/view/4b1e4d39-d976-4bf5-8911-c6164bd3b80d
The Design Director at Callisto Media reports to the Senior Director, Design and is responsible for maintaining and enhancing Callisto’s creative vision across all of our interior book designs and related products, as well as expanding our resource pool to support aggressive growth and high quality product output. The Design Director develops an efficient interior design workflow supported by the proper processes, tools, and resources to deliver 300 books in 2018, while partnering with the Cover Design Director to ensure harmony with cover designs. The Design Director also manages the in-house Art Directors, Interior Designers, and Lead Art Manager, and works to ensure maximum team productivity and engagement.
The ideal candidate has proven experience as a creative leader, including managing the design and production of four-color Trade books in a fast-paced work environment, mentoring design staff, and optimizing performance and productivity as an organization scales. Expert skills in managing freelancers and in-house staff, an extensive network of creative resources, as well as an established track record in collaborating successfully with in-house Editorial, Sales, and Marketing teams are also a must.
Strategic Leadership, Communication, and Execution
• Lead interior design development and implementation across 300 titles annually
• Facilitate cross-Departmental interior asset handoffs and processes
Creative and Resource Management
• Maintain the integrity of Callisto’s creative vision across all books
• Monitor daily production and ensure consistent, on-budget, and timely completion of interior designs
• Acquire and cultivate Design Department resources
Performance and Quality Management
• Ensure high quality design product, team workflow, and output at scale
• Create and manage workflows to reinforce adherence to established timelines
• Provide mentorship and facilitate growth opportunities for direct reports
Desired Skills and Experience
• At least 10 years proven expertise as an in-house creative team Manager
• Excellence in design with a broad, award-winning portfolio of editorial design work
• Expertise in developing and adhering to rigorous, process-oriented design and production workflows
• Superior organizational skills with the ability to effectively multi-task, prioritize, and meet tight deadlines
• Excellent expense and resource management skills
• Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with great attention to detail
• Extensive knowledge of typography and proper typesetting conventions
• Exceptionally sharp eye for photo art direction; expertise in directing food and lifestyle photography a must
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
• Adaptability in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment
• Expert proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
• Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or equivalent education and experience
Callisto Media offers a competitive salary, full benefits, 401K, stock options, and a friendly working environment. This is a full-time, onsite position at our office in New York City. Please submit a resume, digital samples of your work or your online portfolio, salary requirements, and a cover letter describing why you are an ideal candidate.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.