Softgoods Developer - Bags and Packs
Softgoods Developer - Bags and Packs Job Posting
Why join us?
Are you ready to join a passionate team working to get Every Butt on a Bike? Quality Bicycle Products is looking at add a Softgoods Developer to our growing product development team for our Bags and Packs category. Voted one of the top 50 work places by Outdoor Magazine multiple years in a row, QBP is based in Bloomington, MN, and respected as one of the best businesses in the cycling industry. QBP’s Product Development Team designs and develops innovative products and experiences for our portfolio of 14+ Brands with the likes of Surly, Salsa Cycles, 45Nrth, and many more.
What you will do:
As a part of the brand product team, the Softgoods Developer is responsible for the expert and timely development of our complete Bag and Pack product lines within our QBP Owned brands. Expect to work in a collaborative environment on a variety of projects ranging in complexity. The Softgoods Developer is driven, passionate, and self-motivated; but will also be capable of integrating into a larger development team that interacts between creative, product management, design, and supply chain. This is a full-time position at our Minnesota headquarters and reports to the Industrial Design Manager with a dotted line report to the assigned Product Managers.
As a Bag and Pack Developer, your main things are:
1. Translate the product vision and design into executable and commercially viable product
2. Manage the development of bag and pack product from design hand off to on time delivery
3. Elevate the level of Q Brands bag and pack product lines to be experiential leaders within the cycling industry.
• Collaborate with Product Design team on ensuring design vision matches technical capabilities
• Convert 2D design into technical specification packages ready for supplier development
• Coordinate all factory communication in collaboration with global offices for the development of proto-types and samples
• Identify materials and construction technology that supports designer’s vision and product parameters
• Lead material and trim sourcing in accordance with product line needs
• Assist with pre-costing to inform and deliver on target cost
• Partner with Supply Chain Sourcing Manager and Product Management to determine the sourcing strategy
• Lead development calendaring process for bags and packs including costing approvals, quality evaluation, and fabric, trim and color approvals.
• Manage field and lab testing of products in collaboration with Product Assistant, Product Quality, and Product Safety
• Lead sample reviews ensuring team enrollment while maintaining calendar adherence
• Work with Supply Chain, Product Safety, Compliance, and Product Management Teams to develop and meet expectations for qualification and quality assurance
• Collaborate with Product Management and Project Management to establish development calendar for planned product projects
• Present new technical capabilities and source options to Product Design and Product Management teams
• Consistently improve overall product range and individual product details each model year
• Build and maintain relationships with vendors
• Represent QBP with integrity
*Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned
What you need to succeed:
• Degree in a related field (Product Development, Apparel / Textile Design or Technology, Merchandising, Engineering)
• 3-5 years’ experience in technical soft goods development within a product category such as backpacks, safety harnesses, tents, sleep systems or luggage
• Experience with secondary supply chain including mills, trim, and subcomponent vendors
• Proven track record in managing projects with domestic and foreign based suppliers
• Knowledge of bag construction, material construction and performance properties, pattern making, costing, embroidery, and trim applications
• Excellent skills in creating construction specifications and communicating technical details
• Understanding of the design, development, and product merchandising process from idea through production.
• Ability to utilize appropriate tools for the application including Adobe Illustrator and InDesign, and Microsoft office including Excel.
• Ability to develop deep knowledge of the cycling industry
• Ability and desire to test prototypes, or identify individuals who will
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, including presentations
• Extreme attention to detail
• Proven organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects in different phases of development
• Practice and exhibit high self-awareness
• International travel required up to 10%-15% of weeks annually
• Must be eligible to obtain international travel documents.
Modeling QBP Core Values:
• Act with integrity
• Be a true partner
• Create something special
• Deliver greatness
• Keep the customer first
Candidates interested in this position must provide a cover letter, resume, and work examples with their application in either a PDF or weblink.
All candidates are subject to a pre-employment criminal background check and a drug screen. Some applicants may be subject to a credit check and driving check as well.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.