A highly creative creature with demonstrated expertise in organization, hierarchy, balance, usability, messaging and sustainability. A senior designer is a leader, expected to be able to take full creative, fiscal, and production responsibility for any project. Strong communication skills are essential. Able to work seamlessly with fellow employees, clients, and vendors while managing/overseeing many projects. Also shows excellent initiative in looking for solutions to problems that arise, and never rests during slow times as he or she is always working to improve the company. This person is fully committed to living and designing sustainably. A conscientious person who arrives to work and meetings on time and comports themselves with the style befitting a senior representative of the field of design.
About Modern Species:
A small sustainable design and branding studio in downtown Seattle. We treat our clients’ businesses like extensions of our own and our vendors like our best friends. We love learning, craft, and change. We’re serious design & sustainability geeks with a desire to influence the entire design industry. We work our asses off for companies that we respect and clients who appreciate us. Office topics of conversation revolve around what we’ve been reading lately, what we’ve been eating and drinking lately, dogs, babies, race and social justice, and the occasional internet meme.
• Design with a sustainability, brand aesthetic, and the client's audience in mind at all times
• Ability to translate creative concepts into high-level branding, print, packaging, web, and environmental design projects
• Collaborate with various vendors to secure estimates, prepare artwork, and quality check the final product
• Possess leadership ability to direct a team of junior and mid-level designers
• Experience prioritizing and delivering on multiple graphic design requests while maintaining program brand elements
• Exceptional attention to detail with high design standards
• Assist with extension and maintenance of ongoing design projects
• Working directly with our incredible clients, talented vendors, and collaborating with your fellow species
• A lot of responsibility - working for a small studio means a lot rides on your shoulders
• 8+ years of full-time professional experience in a studio/agency environment
• Bachelors in design or related field
• Expertise in Adobe Creative software in an OSX environment
• Exemplary portfolio with a range of work across mediums, brands, and design styles
• Expertise in design process, branding, identity, print, packaging, environmental, and web design
• Deep knowledge in the production side of print, packaging, and web work
• Extremely comfortable and successful with presenting work to clients
• Flexibility and desire to work in a fast-paced environment
• Critical thinking and decision making skills for resourceful problem solving
• Enjoy creating brand assets from scratch and working in a variety of styles
• Passion for mentoring and guiding less experienced team members
• Fantastic communication and time management skills
• Live in Seattle or be willing to relocate at your own expense
• Passion for sustainable and healthy food and lifestyles
Not required, but will get you extra credit:
• Knowledge of sustainable design practices
• Experience in the natural product industry
• Experience guiding brand strategy
• Marketing and business strategy expertise
• Working knowledge of HTML/CSS
• Strong writing skills
• Experience shooting and/or directing product/food photography
Modern Species offers benefits including flex-time work schedule, group health insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, a professional development budget, and a 401(k) matching program.
Salary is $70k+ depending on experience and fit.
If you meet the requirements and want to love what you do, please visit our website for more details.
Note: Candidates who are not US citizens or permanent residents need to have authorization to work in the U.S. in order to apply.
Modern Species is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity & inclusion.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.