Sr. Industrial Designer
Who we are
We are Apex Tool Group (www.apextoolgroup.com), a $1.5 billion worldwide manufacturer of industrial hand and power tools, tool storage, and electronic soldering products. Apex Tool Group (ATG) and our 8000 associates have built a legacy of powerhouse brands, trusted to get the job done. Our brands include Crescent, Gearwrench, Weller, SATA, Lufkin, Wiss and Cleco, as well as several key private label products for major global retailers. With a heritage that began in the 1800’s with Wiss scissors, Nicholson files and Lufkin wood rules, today our tools and products support a wide variety of global industries, including automotive, transportation, aerospace, electronics, energy, hardware, industrial, and consumer retail.
ATG associates, in 30 locations around the world, are dedicated to providing our customers with high performing, innovative products, timely delivery, and customer service that is second to none. We pride ourselves on continuous improvement, and use lean and efficiency tools to guide our company-wide improvement initiatives. Our five core values - Customers Come First, Integrity in All We Do, Continuous Improvement in Every Aspect of our Business, Innovation for Growth and Best Talent, One Team - drive how we operate, every day.
But don’t just take our word for it. Customers and industry groups recognize our innovation and responsiveness, and every year we are proud to earn supplier accolades. For example, ATG was named “Vendor of the Year” by national retailers Ace Hardware and Do-It-Best, and were honored by Sears Holdings with its “Partners in Transformation” award for our innovative product offerings. Our Weller brand won the prestigious Red Dot global design award for our new Consumer Soldering Iron. The Crescent Grip Zone Plier recently took home both IDEA and Edison Awards. If you like to work in an environment where the journey to finding a better way never ends, and where your ideas are heard and acted upon, ATG is the company for you!
What are we doing?
We are building a world class design team from the ground up. Our focus is the revitalization, realignment and strengthening our product portfolios to serve the needs of tomorrow’s mechanics, assembly techs, construction workers and serious DIYers. We have a rich history of innovation that spans over 100 years of authentic tool making. Backed by this heritage we will advance out products offerings by gaining an intense understanding of our end users and delivering powerful and relevant product and system solutions. We are building an Industrial Design Team that will be headquartered in our brand new studio in Charlotte, NC.
A little about you
You are a self-starting Industrial Designer with a proven track record of bringing consumer/industrial products to market. You are efficient and love a fast paced, team environment and. You are able to gather insights, synthesize information, think strategically and deliver results. You recognize the value of others, seek alternative perspectives to enhance your own, work collaboratively and view success as a team effort. Obviously you love Design.
• 3D Solid and Surface modeling: Creo preferred, Rendering in Keyshot
• 2D Skills: Sketch, draw, illustrate, Adobe Suite and SketchbookPro
• Functional/Mechanical Design: Proof of Purpose Models, Prototyping, Usability, and UX.
• Form Development: Visual Appeal, Proportion/Scale, Study models, Craftsmanship and Color/Finish/Material.
Areas of Expertise
• Presentation and Storytelling
• Innovation and Facilitation
• Design Research and Insights Gathering
• Color & Trend
• Design for Manufacture/Materials and Process
• Lead design efforts of major product initiatives from concept to production
• Contribute to planning and scoping of major programs
• Conversion of consumer insights into innovative design solutions
• Innovate and push forward new ideas, end user solutions and product platforms
• Build insights, empathy and an appreciation of our target consumers by actively participating in field visits where you will immerse yourself in the experiences that create demand for ATG products
• Develop patent-able features and product concepts. Drive and maintain ATG’s leadership positions
• Influence and guide project teams through the development and selection of solutions
• Assist in the creation and implementation of Product Design Languages.
• Preparation / creation of high quality presentation materials across a multitude of media
• Work closely with Engineering to develop product solutions, validate prototypes and define criteria/specifications
• Work with Advanced Manufacturing and Prototype teams to champion innovative technical solutions
• Forge strong relationships with Marketing develop criteria for new programs, align on brand positioning and ensure brand guidelines are being met
• Partner with external vendors to accelerate and enhance internal capabilities
• Mentor associate and staff level designers
• Work with Legal resources to implement Intellectual Property activities
• Mechanically inclined with strong aesthetic sensitivity
• Highly developed conceptual, creative and analytical skills
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Demonstrated ability to work in team environments
• Business acumen: Solid understanding of key metrics and functional roles
• High level knowledge of competitive product, retail environments and market influences.
• Self-motivated and flexible. Eager to learn
• Proven ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously
• Ability to work independently toward project goals and timelines with little direction.
• Ability to occasionally travel and work internationally.
• Ability to present in English.
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design or related field
• 5+ years of relevant corporate or consultant hard goods design experience.
• Proven design leadership taking concepts to production
• Knowledge of developing products within multi-disciplinary teams, including Marketing, Engineering, and Sourcing
• Experience with Commercial, Industrial or Consumer
• products is desired
• Very strong knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes, including machining, forging, casting, and multi-shot injection molding.
• Ability to effectively manage multiple projects in a fast-paced and efficient environment.
• Experience with systems including hardware, software, and mechanical. HMI and GUI design experience is preferred
• Adobe Creative Suite
• Creo or Solidworks
Apex Tool Group is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Please include a work sample or a link to your online portfolio.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.