Who we are
We are Apex Tool Group (www.apextoolgroup.com), a $1.5 billion worldwide manufacturer of industrial hand and power tools, tool storage, and electronic soldering products. Apex Tool Group (ATG) and our 8000 associates have built a legacy of powerhouse brands, trusted to get the job done. Our brands include Crescent, Gearwrench, Weller, SATA, Lufkin, Wiss and Cleco, as well as several key private label products for major global retailers. With a heritage that began in the 1800’s with Wiss scissors, Nicholson files and Lufkin wood rules, today our tools and products support a wide variety of global industries, including automotive, transportation, aerospace, electronics, energy, hardware, industrial, and consumer retail.
ATG associates, in 30 locations around the world, are dedicated to providing our customers with high performing, innovative products, timely delivery, and customer service that is second to none. We pride ourselves on continuous improvement, and use lean and efficiency tools to guide our company-wide improvement initiatives. Our five core values - Customers Come First, Integrity in All We Do, Continuous Improvement in Every Aspect of our Business, Innovation for Growth and Best Talent, One Team - drive how we operate, every day.
But don’t just take our word for it. Customers and industry groups recognize our innovation and responsiveness, and every year we are proud to earn supplier accolades. For example, ATG was named “Vendor of the Year” by national retailers Ace Hardware and Do-It-Best, and were honored by Sears Holdings with its “Partners in Transformation” award for our innovative product offerings. Our Weller brand won the prestigious Red Dot global design award for our new Consumer Soldering Iron. The Crescent Grip Zone Plier recently took home both IDEA and Edison Awards. If you like to work in an environment where the journey to finding a better way never ends, and where your ideas are heard and acted upon, ATG is the company for you!
What are we doing?
We are building a world class design team from the ground up. Our focus is the revitalization, realignment and strengthening our product portfolios to serve the needs of tomorrow’s mechanics, assembly techs, construction workers and serious DIYers. We have a rich history of innovation that spans over 100 years of authentic tool making. Backed by this heritage we will advance out products offerings by gaining an intense understanding of our end users and delivering powerful and relevant product and system solutions. We are building an Industrial Design Team that will be headquartered in our brand new studio in Charlotte, NC.
The Industrial Designer will champion industrial design efforts of new hand tools in product development – from initial concept, Ideation, detailed design and manufacturing, through to product launch. Work in partnership with 3rd party design consultancies, as required. This position reports to the Industrial Design Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Contribute to industrial design efforts through all phases of product development process.
• Analyze and translate customer needs and insights into tangible design solutions.
• Conceptualize compelling ways of providing new and improved value and innovation to our customers and end users.
• Participate in on-site, ethnographic Voice of the Customer research.
• Develop competitive assessments and analyses.
• Implement and develop brand and product identity via coherent visual brand language.
• Shepherd design intent throughout product development process to production.
• 3rd party consultancy liaisonship.
• BS, BA, or BFA in Industrial Design, Product Design or related field
• 2 – 5 years of experience in an industrial design role.
• Knowledge of developing products within multi-disciplinary teams, including Marketing, Engineering, and Sourcing, through to production.
• Experience with the development of high-volume components and products.
• Knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes, including forging, machining, and multi-shot injection molding.
• Experience in the tools industry preferred.
• Driven, self-starting, team player.
• Strong analytical and creative thinker.
• Superior communication, organization, and presentation skills.
• Exceptional 2D sketching ability to effectively communicate concepts and solutions. Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator preferred.
• Immediately proficient in 3D CAD modeling. PTC Creo preferred. Advanced surfacing and assembly methods a plus.
• Photorealistic rendering and animation skills. KeyShot preferred.
• Familiar with rapid prototyping methods and processes.
• Recent and current work showcasing full cycle product development, concept to production.
Apex Tool Group is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Please include a work sample or a link to your online portfolio.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.