Director, Product Development
Swimways Corporation is a leader in outdoor recreational products. Recently Swimways has joined with Spin Master to create an outdoor Global Business Unit which will be key to driving innovation and growth within the category. Our mission is making free time more fun through innovation! Our vision is for growth and profitability by continuing to be recognized as the worldwide innovation leader and the best source in every seasonal category that we pursue. We have an opening at our Virginia Beach, VA location for an experienced Director, Product Development.
The Director, Product Development will provide strategic leadership and management for the day to day operations of the Product Development department.
• Oversee and implement product development policies, objectives, and initiatives
• Plan, direct, and coordinate product development efforts to ensure deadlines, quality standards, and cost objectives are met
• Develop product development programs consistent with business strategies and work to establish processes to improve execution of projects, improve quality, improve efficiency and reduce costs
• Manage the PD budget and other resources to ensure that projects meet deadlines and performance objectives
• Maintain a culture of collaboration within the Product Development department and with other key internal groups to optimize the development process and to identify new product opportunities.
• Ensure that Intellectual property and licensed products are consistent with business need, strategies, and customer requirements
• Ensure a strategy of innovation by building and leveraging relationships with suppliers, the inventor community, our partners in China and other outside resources
• Work with Marketing to ensure the vision of the product is understood and clearly communicated to the PD team
• Maintain awareness of competitors products
• Ensure that there is ongoing evaluation of processes and talent to optimize each for best results
• Work with China Office to source products at appropriate costing targets
• Bachelor’s degree in Product Development, Marketing, Design or Business
• 10+ years in the toy industry
• Track record of developing new consumer products on time and in budget
• Strong leader with a history of leading high performing teams
• Proven project management skills
• Experience with Intellectual property and licensing
• Understanding of manufacturing processes and some familiarity of resins, foam, and polymers
• Good understanding of financial requirements around the development and production of new products
• Strong problem solving and decision making skills. Must have the ability to define a problem, evaluate options, and make timely decisions.
• Ability to work collaboratively across all departments and at all levels while driving improvement in others and influencing decisions
• Must be results oriented with excellent communication and organizational skills. Ability to clearly communicate the goal and vision to the team while also communicating expectations to stakeholders
This position will be based in Virginia Beach, VA and will travel 10-20% of the time.
At Swimways we have a fast paced but casual work environment. An excellent place to build a career, Swimways offers great pay and benefits. Qualified applicants may submit resumes with salary requirements to email@example.com.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.