Senior Surfacing Designer
Senior Surfacing Designer
Working at Plantronics gives you the rare opportunity to make a difference and feel valued, respected and supported, both personally and professionally. You'll find the ideal blend of a casual, fun, friendly atmosphere with a strong commitment to the company's success.
Since 1961 Plantronics (NYSE: PLT) people have been bringing sound innovation to the world. We are a world leader in personal audio communications for professionals and consumers. Our reputation for excellence is built on innovative products, a people-centered workplace and strong ethics.
Headquartered in Santa Cruz, California, Plantronics and its Clarity division have offices in 20 countries, including facilities in Mexico, China, and Europe. Plantronics offers a generous mix of health, financial and lifestyle benefits as well as career development opportunities to its associates. Discover Plantronics.
The Surfacing Designer will be part of the Technical Development and Industrial Design team. Primary responsibilities include working with Industrial Designers, Mechanical and Tooling Engineers, as well as our manufacturing partners to develop world-class communication products. The deliverable of the Surfacing Designer is the development and execution of final external surface data created in Pro/Engineer / Creo. Development includes the enhancement of existing products as well as the development of new product designs and concepts.
This position reports to the Surface Design Director.
The Surfacing designer will be responsible for:
• Work with the industrial design team (Product, User Experience, Human Factors, CMF, and Advanced Technology designers) in the development of digital models ranging from rough concepts and prototypes to final surface models
• Understand and support mechanical engineering, tooling, and manufacturing requirements while bringing design intent through to production
• Incorporate Human Factors and User Interface in the development of model iterations for the optimization of comfort fit and stability
• Provide necessary information to hard modelers to develop appearance models
• Act as a liaison between Mechanical Engineering, tooling and manufacturing
• Participate in the creative development of new concepts and the evolution of concepts in development
• Creating schedules and planning as required
The Ideal candidate:
The Surfacing Designer will be an intelligent, competent individual with integrity and accountability that works well in a team environment. He/she will be highly motivated, competitive, self-confident, and entrepreneurial and attracted to challenging opportunities within a rapidly growing environment. He/she will posses strong written and verbal communication skills. He/she will have strong interpersonal skills and the ability and desire to work with a highly creative team. The ideal candidate will possess the following skills/experience:
• 5+ years industry experience desired in the development of A-class, organic, C2 continuous surface models
• Technical experience with mechanical engineering, tooling, and manufacturing of consumer product
• Solid grasp of Pro-E / Creo advanced surfacing techniques. Additional 3D modeling software experiences including Alias, Rhino and NX a plus
• Qualified candidates will have experience in scheduling, will be well organized and have the ability and commitment to meet tight design schedules: We don’t miss deadlines
• Familiarity with rapid prototyping, SLA’s and CNC Models a plus
• An understanding of interfacing electronics to ME architecture and experience with consumer products, especially electronics and communication product a plus
• Candidate will be able to balance technical requirements with design intricacies and design intent; candidate should be able to embrace mechanical engineering requirements while representing and maintaining industrial design requirements
• He/She will have demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced team environment
• He/She will be experienced in making products for high volume production where cost control, reliability and manufacturability while maintaining aggressive schedules
• A degree in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Design or equivalent degree is highly desired
• 5+ years experience or scholastic training for product development using CAD software
• ME, ID or related degree OR 5+ years working in Industrial Design or Mechanical Engineering design role
Plantronics is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.