For our Industrial Design position, we are looking for a highly-motivated well-rounded candidate with an interest and background in medical device development.
The Smithwise culture is collaborative at its core. Candidates must be willing to join brainstorm sessions, having both an ear for others’ input as well as claiming a voice of their own. Our clients are outside-the-box thinkers and innovators who expect the same from us in return. As such, we need someone on our team who thrives in an environment where they are constantly challenged and willing to navigate unfamiliar territory.
Candidates must be able to easily move between a variety of tasks – from loose iterative concept sketches and working out the details of a CAD model, to presenting complex ideas to clients in a clear and concise way. Candidates must be confident in their abilities, while remaining humble and adaptive to others’ thinking and willing to learn.
Curiosity and imagination are attributes we value highly at Smithwise, along with a friendly personality, positive attitude and good communication skills. Lastly, for the sake of our clients and the tremendous trust they put in our team to bring their ideas to life, we need candidates who are precise in their designs and dedicated to the task at hand.
Smithwise is a product development firm with offices in Philadelphia and Boston. We work with startups and established companies to design, engineer and manufacture electro-mechanical products for medical applications. Our projects range from IoT wearables to surgical devices to life support systems. We offer a creative work environment with passionate clients, a highly collaborative team and technically challenging projects. Following are the responsibilities and requirements for the position.
- Industrial Design – Must have a passion for developing products that are easy to understand and use while housed in a simple and elegant aesthetic.
- Concept Ideation/ Sketching (Digital and Analog) – Able to clearly develop and communicate ideas through sketches. Sketches and ideation should be quick but refined enough for internal and client facing presentations.
- CAD Development – Build clean and accurate CAD models and assemblies; utilizing the master modeling method in conjunction with solid and surface modeling techniques to develop models for multi-user collaboration.
- Graphics – Have knowledge and experience with Adobe suite (CS5 or greater), with a focus on Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Mechanical design integration – Work closely with the engineering teams to ensure mechanical and manufacturing requirements are seamlessly integrated into industrial design concepts.
-Presentations – Build clear and organized presentations in PowerPoint. Understand the fundamentals of page layout, content refinement, sequencing slides, etc. Be comfortable presenting materials internally and to clients.
-Prototyping – Comfort using standard mock-up materials and methods for building prototypes, such as foam-core, foam, fabric, etc for occasions when prototypes need to be built in house.
- Photography – An interest and knowledge of photography is a plus. The ability to photographically document projects would be an asset to the entire team.
- 0-3 years experience working as an industrial designer preferably in the medical space, consulting experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in industrial design
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive Salary
- Eligibility for discretionary bonus following 12-mths of full-time employment
- For a summary of our benefits including employee out of pocket costs please follow this link: https://secure.zenefits.com/benefitsPreview/requiredInformation?token=ef9e041c-d148-448a-bbdb-021324a835c9
- Health insurance of which 60% is paid by SMITHWISE and the remainder paid by employee pre-tax, eligible immediately.
- Dental insurance of which 50% is paid by SMITHWISE and the remainder paid by employee pre-tax, eligible immediately.
- Eligibility after 3 months of employment to participate in Simple IRA with dollar-for-dollar match up to 3% of employee salary.
- Company paid Short & Long-term Disability Policy
- Company paid Life Insurance (1x pay)
- 3-weeks of paid vacation. Increase to 4-weeks after 5 calendar years of continuous, full-time employment.
- 8 Paid company holidays per year.
- Eligibility for educational stipend (after 12 months of full time employment) and dedicated time for continued refinement of professional skills.
If you are interested in this position you must provide the following to be considered:
- Email cover summarizing your background and interests
- Portfolio (PDF or online) (Please included samples of sketches/ rapid ideation)
Please send these items to HRID1801@smithwise.com. No phone calls please. Thank you for your time and interest in the position.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.