Senior Augmented Reality Engineer @ Visualization Team
Senior Augmented Reality Engineer @ Visualization Team, Civil Maps
San Francisco, CA
Civil Maps, provider of 3D mapping technology for fully autonomous vehicles, has raised a $6.6 million seed funding round from Ford Motor Company, Motus Ventures, Wicklow Capital, StartX Stanford and Yahoo cofounder Jerry Yang’s AME Cloud Ventures.
Civil Maps’ mission is to make it possible for fully autonomous vehicles (SAE Levels 4-5) to drive anywhere smoothly and safely. Through artificial intelligence and vehicle-based local processing, Civil Maps converts sensor data into meaningful map information built specifically to direct fully autonomous vehicles. The company will use the seed investment to accelerate product development and deployment with a number of leading automotive companies and technology partners.
Civil Maps’ artificial intelligence software aggregates raw 3D data from LiDAR (high-resolution laser imaging), camera and other sensors onboard autonomous vehicles and organizes the information into machine-readable maps. The information is vastly more actionable than today's map data and requires only a fraction of the data storage. Thanks to this light data footprint, Civil Maps’ spatial information is far less costly to transmit over cellular networks, enabling the company to easily crowdsource, update and share road data in real time—a major improvement over the lengthy processes that require human annotation in current use. As a result, the company can quickly generate and maintain maps that give fully autonomous vehicles the comprehensive and precise knowledge to autonomous operate safely and smoothly on all roads.
At Civil Maps, we are building the first Augmented Reality 3D maps, which can seamlessly mix real objects with projected 3D Map data. It's augmented reality without the headset.
As a game engine programmer at Civil Maps, you will be working on the rendering and effects for our projected AR 3D Map data. We have a top-notch team that has created beta versions of our software, and now we need to iterate, optimize and productize code, while simultaneously adding new features from our roadmap. You will have the opportunity to work both independently and in small teams, and you will have significant creative control over your projects/teams. As a small company, you'll need to be able to context switch quickly and handle a variety of problems (not just on desktop, and not even always related to engineering!).
- 5+ years of industry experience productizing, testing and shipping applications/games to end-users
- C/C++ (STL, C++11 and beyond, boost), including debugging tools
- Computer graphics (OpenGL/DirectX and shader languages)
- Game engines (Unity, Unreal, custom engines)
- BS/MS in Computer Science
- Agile development
- Unit testing and experience with CI
Bonus points for experience with:
- Mobile application (iOS/Android) experience
- Desktop UI Toolkits (specifically Qt)
- Experience with modern web services
- Computer vision or robotics toolkits (e.g. OpenCV, PCL)
- Video encoding / decoding
- Shape the direction, workflow, efficiency, and culture of the company.
- Own the direction and impact of your work.
- Become part of the best team you’ve ever worked with.
- Passionate, close-knit, hard-working, transparent, and down-to-earth culture.
- Be creative and play with all the coolest AR/VR gadgets.
- Stock options, medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- Gorgeous office in the North Bay district of San Francisco.
Civil Maps has excited customers who are eager to use the products that we create. Be part of a passionate team of bright minded individuals who work on autonomous vehicle technology in an environment based in team work and collaboration. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and opportunity to grow.
How To Apply