Entry to Mid Concept Design Engineer
Seeking an Entry to Mid Level Concept Design Engineer
Company: Techtronic Industries Power Equipment Location: Anderson, SC Posted: Jun 20, 2017
One World Technologies, Inc dba TTI Power Equipment, has an opening in its Anderson, SC office for an Advanced Concepts Designer. This position requires a degree in one of the following disciplines; Industrial Design. The ideal candidate is someone who identifies as a "Maker" type; a candidate that enjoys the aesthetics as well as the technical aspects of product design, they are creative and self-motivated problem solvers that are driven to learning and exploring new things. Selected candidates will work under the guidance of Senior Concept Design Engineering personnel and be responsible for providing design thinking and rapid prototyping to develop the mechanical design / architecture for new concepts.
To give insight into the ACE group (Advanced Concept Engineering), we are a small specialized group of designers and engineers working to develop cutting edge concepts and deliver functional prototypes to be evaluated for feasibility. We are not primarily focused on appearance or mechanics; we focus on the iterative process, investigation, proof of concept and innovation. We take an idea, whether it's directly from product management, or our own and go through the steps to determine "can this be done?" This usually involves research, testing, mock ups, sketch models, prototyping, and more depending on the project constraints. Once complete usually our final deliverable is a functional prototype which will be passed on for further evaluation. This is very much a hands-on group; we thrive on constantly learning and building new things and using our knowledge to elevate existing products or create brand new innovations.
Ultimately we are looking for a designer that is focused on creating innovative products and solving problems. This person should be enthusiastic towards discovery, being hands on, and open to gaining new knowledge and experience in many design arenas.
• Responsible for research, and technical study of assigned Concept Feasibility Studies.
• Responsible and accountable for providing design thinking and rapid prototyping to develop the mechanical design/architecture for new concepts that ultimately bring from concept to functional "works like" prototypes.
• Research / Study market trends and competitive approaches as they relate to CFS (Concept Feasibility Study) project requirements
• Work with Product Management and Industrial Design to develop new concepts for innovative products, including Brainstorming and Ideation of new designs, features, and product architecture.
• Work with Mechanical engineers to ensure the design intent and functional attributes address cost and reliability concerns which can be reasonably maintained in a mass production design.
• Work with electrical components, circuits, and systems as they pertain to the CFS and prototype needs (ie. prototyping circuits, Arduino programming, wiring/soldering, and testing)
• Direct daily communications, both verbal and written, to ensure all groups are working toward the goal of timely project completion.
• Use Concept Illustrations and CAD tools to develop "works like" models to graphically validate function and feature concepts.
• Create/oversee prototype/ RP development to quickly assess/confirm design ideas, features and/or product proposals to effectively demonstrate project solutions
• Contribute unique, innovative ideas and influence the design work of others as well as demonstrate the ability to accept and implement ideas from others
• Create, collect and manage all Documentation, Reports and any other relevant information regarding CFS projects including CFS Conclusion Reports and project folder management
• Assist in coordination efforts for the department as a whole and contribute individually regarding idea mining, innovative promotion and facilitation of the company innovation promoting software and other tools
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Must possess a minimum of a BID in Industrial Design or BS of Engineering
• Must be proficient in Solid works CAD package
• Working Knowledge of Keyshot and Adobe software
• Capable of working independently with little direction and multitasking, handling various projects at once in an extremely productive, timely fashion as well as working collaboratively in a multidisciplinary, cross-functional, team environment
• Must be able to communicate technical details and concepts to engineers and non-technical team members in Anderson and internationally.
• Must have a thirst to learn and grow in his/her skills and technical knowledge on a daily basis.
• Comfortable with Hands-On tasks and processes necessary for functional prototype construction and testing.
• Strong Technical Design aptitude.
• Experience in Microcontroller programming a plus (ie. Arduino, python, rasberry pi,etc)
• Experienced with Rapid Prototyping(materials and processes)
• Experience using power tools is plus.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.