At Yakima we believe in connecting you, your friends, family and all your favorite gear to your desired destination or activity through our mission of enhancing the journey and earning trust every day. In this role you will create relevant, emotionally-charged designs fueled by Yakima’s successfully proven consumer insights process. It requires outstanding product design skills coupled with knowledge of manufacturing materials and processes. You will partner cross-functionally to ensure design feasibility and integrity while meeting profit objectives and project timelines.
What You’ll Be Accountable For:
• Developing innovative products that enhance the strength of the Yakima brand.
• Contributing to advanced development of next generation hard and soft goods products.
• Collaborating with Product Managers, Engineering, Marketing and other groups to meet or exceed the business goals on-time and within budget as set forth by Product Marketing.
• Partnering closely with Design Engineers to achieve a refined balance of technical and design sensibility.
• Identifying user and trade focused product needs and opportunities using industrial design and research processes and tools.
• Communicating and presenting designs to internal and external audiences including Executive Staff, Product Development team, Product Managers, Marketing, and Sales force.
• Develop, manage, administer, budget, monitor, and report on use of company resources as required.
• Adhere to required health and safety regulations and practices.
• Carry out other duties, responsibilities, and projects as may be assigned, in an effective manner.
• Conducting and participating in market research.
• Determining user values and opportunities.
• Keeping abreast of the latest developments in the field by reading, individual contacts, trade shows and attendance at appropriate meetings.
• Using ID process, generate design solutions to solve product challenges.
• Developing innovative solutions that perform well in the market while meeting technical, manufacturing, and cost specifications.
• Designing products with business demands in mind, on schedule and within cost objectives.
• Hands-on concept design and model construction.
• Working with engineers, shop personnel, and outside suppliers to provide prototypes, models, and the like, to demonstrate the feasibility of a design and prove the concept.
• Conducting user research, user testing and concept validation as and when needed.
• Presenting design concepts to multidisciplinary audiences.
• Working closely with Product Managers, Design Engineers, Quality Engineers and Manufacturing Engineers.
• Working closely with local and offshore team members.
• Working with internal and external business partners, evangelizing good ID practice and evaluating partner ID work.
• Continuously improve our product development tools and processes.
Is this You?
• You are energized by the product development process – the one where you have to balance your priorities across the needs of the business, the consumer, and your resources.
• You love finding trends and insights in qualitative and quantitative data, and can use this information to help prioritize use cases, requirements and requests.
• Clear, compelling communication is second nature to you, as is cross-functional collaboration. You are skilled at saying ‘no’ in the most empathetic fashion, when scarce resources mean you need to make trade-offs and decisions on priority.
• Seeing the bigger picture and all the small pieces that make it up is one of your top strengths. You possess a rare mix of big picture thinking, idealist dreaming, and the ability to prioritize, focus, and deliver quality results in a timely fashion.
• You love a fast-paced environment, and possess a scrappy, hands-on, roll-up-your-sleeves approach.
• People describe you as well-organized, self-directed, and a team player who remains open to others’ ideas, and exhibits a willingness to try new things.
• You don’t fear change and can adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands, and are able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
What you Bring:
• A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in Industrial Design.
• At least 3 years of professional experience in the field of Industrial Design.
• Ninja level proficiency in 3D CAD - Rhino or SolidWorks.
• Proficiency in 2D software - Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
• Proficient in a variety of MS Office applications, and solid computer skills.
• A strong aptitude for all things mechanical and maintaining strong knowledge of current automotive and outdoor product trends, finishes, technologies and vehicle-related products be it through travel and/or research.
• Keen understanding of manufacturing processes including but not limited to injection molding, die casting, thermoforming, extrusion, stamping, punching, welding, tube bending, printing, painting, plating, and soft goods
• Knowledge of the outdoor sports hard goods and/or automotive industries is helpful but not required.
• Strong presentation skills. Effectiveness in a variety of formal presentation settings within and outside of the company. The ability to command attention and manage group process during the presentation. Can change tactics midstream when something isn't working without audience noticing. Ability to understand and incorporate all levels of brand marketing plans and ideals in to presentations.
• Team player with the ability to exercise discretion while adhering to best practices.
• The ability to work independently with minimal direction, but also work cohesively in a team environment.
• A valid driver’s license coupled with an acceptable driving record.
• Authorization to work in the Unites States – of course!
What we Offer:
• Exceptional compensation package, which includes a competitive base salary with annual bonus potential.
• Complete benefits package including medical, dental, vision coverage; an aggressive 401k plan with company matching funds and immediate vesting; flexible benefit plans for health care and day care expenses.
• Very generous paid time off policy….ahhhh, vacation.
• Special outdoor industry pro-purchase deals.
• A casual work environment (free coffee, anyone?).
• Last, most importantly, and certainly not least…employee pricing on Yakima gear!
Work takes place in an office setting. This position requires the ability to work a predictable and consistent full-time schedule. It requires the ability to sit and work at a computer for extended periods of time and communicate effectively with a diverse audience in person, by phone and by computer. This position requires the ability to lift, push, and carry up to 80lbs, including some product moves (from this table to another). And because the role’s primary function is to design it will necessitate the ability to distinguish colors and tints. This position will occasionally travel in support of our product development initiatives. High stress levels may occur.
Yakima is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. We support and encourage diversity and inclusion!
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.