Assistant Industrial Designer
The Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices (JJMDC) Industrial Design and Human Factors (IDHF) organization is seeking a multi-faceted, exceptionally talented, user-centered Assistant Industrial Designer who is passionate about improving the quality of people's lives through compelling design experiences. This position is based in Irvine, CA.
JJMDC is one of the world’s largest, most innovative surgical companies. The businesses represented are Acclarent, Advanced Sterilization Products, Biosense Webster, Cerenovus, DePuySynthes, Ethicon, Mentor, and J&J Vision.
The Associate Industrial Designer will embrace the various roles this position requires consisting of User Centered Research Champion, Classic Industrial Designer, and Strategic Partner.
Collaborating with internal and external partners to plan and execute user research in real and simulated environments - reviewing and synthesizing data to uncover new opportunities and unmet needs, identify potential use errors and develop solutions to mitigate safety risks.
Using traditional sketching, digital tools, CAD models, and physical mock-ups to communicate unique ideas and product concepts - sharing ideas with various audiences and leveraging skills of collaboration and influence to drive alignment behind the best solution.
Deploying design thinking methodologies to help our business partners visualize abstract concepts and leverage IDHF's position in the organization to shape the future of our business.
- A BS/BA in Industrial Design or related design degree with a - The successful candidate must possess excellent visual communication skills using traditional sketching and digital media (Photoshop, Illustrator, PowerPoint, etc or similar) Proficiency using CAD tools (Alias, SolidWorks, etc or similar) to create 3D databases that capture design intent and are suitable for downstream applications are required.
- Relevant experience working with multi-disciplinary product development teams and external partners is preferred.
- Experience with the design and development of physical products and/or capital equipment and systems is preferred.
- Experience with medical device development and regulatory landscape is preferred.
- Additional skills and hands-on experiences that augment the design process is preferred (e.g., Human Factors Engineering, Cognitive Psychology, Graphic Design, Information Design, Interaction Design, Mechanical Engineering, Clinical Experience…etc.)
- This position may require
For consideration, please submit a PDF, or provide link to web-based, portfolio that demonstrates successful products, an established creative process and proficiency with design and prototyping methodologies.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How To Apply
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.