College Laboratory Technician - Industrial Design
College Laboratory Technician - Industrial Design
Job ID: 18357
Location: LaGuardia Community College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
- Performs highly-skilled laboratory functions and other technical duties in support of coursework.
- Sets up, maintains, and organizes student laboratories
- Assists students with setting up experiments and other learning exercises, and with the use of equipment and materials
- Maintains appropriate safety and hygiene standards
- Maintains required documentation related to laboratory activities
- Manages equipment and materials inventories.
College Laboratory Technician
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
The Industrial Design Program at LaGuardia Community College is growing and seeks a technician to support this growth. The primary responsibilities of the technician are to support the day-to-day industrial design operations of the facilities while providing and maintaining a safe working environment for both students and faculty. The individual should have strong design fabrication knowledge and experience using hand tools, power tools and machine tools. The technician should also be adept in Computer Aided Design (C.A.D.) software and hardware techniques. This position reports to the Department Chair of Humanities and is an union position.
A considerable amount of the technician’s time and effort will be spent in the fabrication laboratory. The fabrication laboratory is also shared with a business incubator - NY Designs - associated with LaGuardia Community College. Although the primary responsibility of the technician is the academic support of the industrial design college community, the technician will also maintain the fabrication workshops machines and assist with both student and business incubator client design and fabrication needs on a daily basis.
• Supervise and monitor all activities in the fabrication workshop.
• Ensure all fabrication workshop work areas are clean and safe, making sure materials are stored appropriately by both student and business incubator members.
• Maintain all equipment, changing and repairing components as needed.
• Create and update inventory of all tools and materials and submit replacement requests as needed.
• Train incoming fabrication workshop members on safety procedures and proper use of equipment and tools, and supervise members on an ongoing basis to ensure safety
• Assist in preparing bids for laser cutting, 3D printing and CNC jobs for fabrication workshop students and clients.
• Support fabrication workshop and program activities as needed.
High School Diploma with a minimum of four years' related experience. Additional education may be used to meet the experience requirement: an Associate degree may be substituted for two years’ experience, and a Bachelor's degree may be substituted for four years’ experience.
• 5-7 years of relevant professional experience and strong technical experience.
• Associate or Advanced degree in a design or S.T.E.M. field preferred.
• Familiarity and experience working with equipment such as:
• Laser cutters, CNC routers, 3-D printers, vacuum formers, table saws, lathes,
sanders, drill press, power tools, and all associated equipment
• Proficiency with image editing, CAD/CAM applications, and design software including
Adobe Suite and Solidworks.
• Excellent communication skills.
• OSHA 30-Hour General Industry certification.
• First Aid and advanced safety training preferred.
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds on a regular basis.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a CV/resume.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
How To Apply