Our Mission: Inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action.
The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) is seeking a regular, full-time Experience Design Manager, who will bring experience in design and supervision.
OMSI is a center of excellence in science teaching and learning and a valued destination for the community. Founded in 1944, OMSI is ranked as one of the nation's top ten science museums and a world-class tourist attraction and educational resource that reaches 1 million people each year. The museum features five exhibit halls and eight science labs featuring hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations, as well as residential camps and programs across the region. OMSI’s staff consists of 250-300 paid employees and 500 volunteers. They share a passion for our mission and believe deeply in partnering with communities across the region to achieve collective impact.
What you’ll do:
The Experience Design Manager is both a designer and manager within our Exhibits team, comprised of artists, designers, master craftspeople and engineers, design and develop exhibits and experiences that inspire wonder, curiosity and exploration.
This role is responsible for managing concept development for projects, ranging from 2D to 3D to CNC prep files, all while working in collaboration with other project stakeholders around the museum to synthesize all interests in the design of projects. In addition to engaging and managing an array of design staff, contractors, interns, and creative partnerships, the manager acts as creative support for other divisions and departments at OMSI, including contributing to front end ideation in support of grant funded and new project proposals.
What you’ll need:
• Excellent organizational, leadership, management, art direction, analytical and problem-solving skills
• Highest level of proficiency in in 3D software to include SketchUp and SolidWorks (or other approved 3D software program)
• High level proficiency in 2D design and layout; fluent in Adobe creative suite, specifically Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign
• Bachelor's Degree of Art, Design, Architecture, Industrial Design, or equivalent combination of experience and education.
• Minimum years of coordination and project management in designing of experiences and exhibits.
• Minimum 3 year of supervisory experience.
• Minimum 3 years of informal experience in informal science education and/or the museum field.
• Minimum 2 years managing/directing designers.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Pass pre-employment checks, such as criminal background check, reference checks, and a Motor Vehicle Record check.
• Competitive health benefits.
• Vacation, Personal Days, Sick Days, and Holiday pay!
We invite all applicants interested in impacting the community and our future generations to apply to join our team.
Position closes April 30, 2018.
OMSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.