SUMMARY OF OPPORTUNITY
Cutting edge clean energy startup seeks a talented and energetic Industrial Design Intern to assist in creating compelling energy products for the outdoor recreational market and emerging markets.
DURATION 6 months, Spring-Fall 2018
LOCATION: Brooklyn, New York
COMPENSATION: Monthly stipend available. BioLite will work with universities to arrange credit.
WHO WE ARE
BioLite is a for-profit social enterprise that develops, manufactures and markets distributed energy solutions for off-grid communities around the world. Our first products are clean-burning, wood fueled cooking stoves capable of converting their own waste heat into electricity to charge electronic devices. Our business serves two distinct markets, 1) developing world families living in energy poverty, and 2) outdoor enthusiasts seeking fuel-independent cooking and charging.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for an Industrial Design Intern to join our Brooklyn team for a 6 month term Spring - Fall 2018. Candidates should have a passion for physical products and elegant user experiences. You should be able to identify user needs and values through various forms of market based and ethnographic research. You should be able to rapidly generate concepts which address those needs and values and communicate these ideas through hand sketching, physical model making, Photoshop, Illustrator and CAD. You must be able to take ownership over tasks and be self-starters inside of a larger team. Through the course of the internship you will be able to see many, if not all, parts of the product design process: research and initial product definition, function and form exploration, design refinement, user/function validation test programs, and manufacturing. This is a unique opportunity to be part of the full product development process in a small and agile environment where you will have the ability to contribute throughout.
• Market and Ethnographic Based Research – Online and in-store product research, competitive product research and inspiration gathering. User, use case, user values, and user needs definition.
• Ideation and Concepting – Product feature definition, brainstorming, and form ideation.
• Physical Model Making and Testing – Functional and aesthetic model making and product testing.
• Product Design – Refining concepts into production ready designs through sketching, model making, 2D drawings and 3D CAD.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
• Excellent eye for balancing form and function
• High proficiency in hand and digital sketching
• High proficiency in using Illustrator, Photoshop
• Proficiency in surface modeling using Solidworks
• Proficiency in model making, comfortable with hand tools, shop equipment
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines
• Extremely detail oriented
Please submit your resume, cover letter and PDF portfolio. Please show problem identification, various forms of research, sketch and model ideation, and fully resolved product concepts. Thanks!
Company is not accepting candidates via recruiters.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.