Who we are
BBOXX is a UK based venture-backed company providing an affordable, upgradeable solar solution to meet off-grid customers’ energy needs. We are fully vertically integrated, controlling every part of our customer experience. Our market leading products and appliances coupled with our SMART Solar platform bring machine-learning and customer experience optimization to rural Africa. Our ground-breaking financing structure has brought off-grid solar into the World’s financial markets. Whilst our human centered design approach to our retail business ensures that the BBOXX ecosystem is poised to massively scale during 2017. With over 100,000 systems deployed so far, 450 staff across 5 offices in China, UK and East Africa are waking up every morning to work with BBOXX to electrify 20 million people by 2020. We invite you to join us on this journey to electrify rural Africa.
The business context
We are pioneers in a frontier market, so we need a combination of apps for users across the business. Information about the performance of the business needs to be easy to access so that we can make the right strategic decisions to meet our target of electrifying 4 million households by 2020.
You are a UX/UI Designer who understands the importance of engaging with design thinking methodologies through the design, development and implementation of creative and elegant user experiences. You are keen to advance your understanding of a broad range of users across multiple continents and are motivated to share your experience with fellow colleagues.
As a UX/UI Designer on our team, your key duties will include:
- Collaborating with designers, developers and other business departments to create user friendly software solutions for web and mobile applications
- Presenting and defending designs and key milestone deliverables to peers and executive level stakeholders.
- Conducting, evaluating and implementing user research.
- Developing wireframes, user flows, process flows and sitemaps to effectively communicate design ideas based on user needs.
- Helping to establish and promote design guidelines, best practices and standards.
- Supporting the Lead Designer in promoting design thinking methodologies throughout the business.
You should have all of:
- BA in a design related field; Interaction Design, Industrial Design, Product Design or something similar.
- Display a strong fluency in design thinking and are confident in facilitating the approach amongst colleagues.
- Consistent track record of designing successful experiences.
- Experience in using prototyping tools such as Sketch and Adobe Illustrator or something similar.
- Experience working with agile/lean methodologies.
- Preferably 2+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience in using UI/UX/HCD methodologies in order to understand and translate the user needs into actionable insights
And ideally some of:
- Competitive salary based on experience.
- Free breakfasts on Monday morning plus fresh fruit, hot drinks and biscuits every day.
- Working in BBOXX's start up culture - fast pace of development, lots of responsibility, opportunities to learn and implement your own ideas.
- BBOXX Sandbox days - once a fortnight day to work on a self-driven project that you believe could have a benefit to your work or BBOXX generally.
- BBOXX will cover the cost of appropriate training courses to help you develop and learn new skills relevant for your role.
- Regular socials - BBOXX organizes monthly social events which can be proposed by anyone on the team. This could be anything from a picnic in the park to laser tag or the regular pub quiz.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.