We are a seasonal housewares, gift, and tabletop company located in Berkeley, CA. We work in a casual environment of about 50 core office staff members, including a Creative Department of about 12 people who work in the areas of product development, graphic and packaging design, and marketing. We have an overseas team of about 20 people who we work closely with to coordinate our production. We strive for success, and have a positive attitude and an excellent work ethic. In addition to our own brands, we design and produce private label products for companies like Fred Meyer/Kroger, Crate and Barrel, Cabela’s, Home Depot, Walmart, Orchard Supply Hardware, Williams-Sonoma and Sur La Table.
We are seeking a full-time Senior Structural Packaging Designer / Packaging Engineer. Ideally, you will have 2-4 years of hands-on experience creating dielines for retail packaging and Point-of-Purchase displays. You will have a strong aptitude for 3D, corrugated construction, and will work directly with senior management to fulfill the department needs. This is not a graphic design position.
You should have extensive knowledge of paper-based packaging stocks and some plastics used in packaging, as well as the packaging production process. Strong attention to precision, detail and direction is essential to the success of your role. You will supervise your direct report, our Jr. Structural Packaging Designer and you may mentor other staff in understanding the packaging process. Excellent communication skills are vital for effective coordination with our overseas production team.
A) Execute and/or oversee Structural Packaging Designs and Assembly required for the production and delivery of all packaging, shelf displays, and floor displays.
• Ideate packaging solutions, formulate, mock up, test for fit and viability
• Create packaging dielines, documentation and assembly instructions for new and existing products using Illustrator or other vector-based program.
• Create hand mockups for presentation and evaluation of designs. Neatness, precision and safe practices are key.
• Collaborate with graphics team, sales, product development and other department to incorporate merchandising, branding and print requirements.
• Incorporate vendor requirements and applicable testing protocols (ISTA/ASTM).
• Review vendor packaging/stock samples for evaluation and approval.
• Screen product/packaging for potential Master Carton packing issues.
B) Ascertain logistics and feasibility for routine packaging projects to more complex projects such as floor/pallet displays.
• Trouble-shoot production issues and find/implement optimal yet feasible solutions under time constraints.
• Coordinate with vendors, overseas and domestic teams to develop and implement production standards (e.g. stock strengths, master cartons, ceramic products, pizza stones) as needed to ensure quality delivery of products.
C) Coordinate with overseas teams and vendors for packaging and assembly quotes. Manage and maintain data on costs. Work in Excel to create cost spreadsheets as needed.
D) Work with sales team to create Pre-production Presentation materials (data, renderings, mockups) for shelf and floor displays. Determine and create layouts based on desired sell quantities, vendor requirements, dimensional and weight constraints, visual merchandizing, engineering requirements, ergonomics, production cost, and feasibility.
E) Delegate and oversee projects for Junior Packaging Designer in executing dieline and packaging assignments. Provide mentoring, oversight and guidance to junior designer.
F) Analyze, develop, vet and document packaging process standards and protocols as needed for training, efficiency, accuracy/consistency, and database development.
G) Stay current with industry materials and methods and apply relevant aspects to projects as needed. An awareness of sustainability practices is desirable.
- 2-4 years experience in Structural Packaging Design or Packaging Engineering
- Motivated self-starter with solid project management skills
- College degree in packaging design, packaging engineering or industrial design
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, especially Illustrator and Photoshop on a Mac
- Experience with Solidworks is desirable
- Familiarity with MS Office
- A strong aptitude for 3-dimensional thinking, geometry and basic computations
- Ability to communicate easily and effectively (oral and written)
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Excellent attention to precision, neatness, detail and safety
- Ability to work under pressure and meet quick deadlines
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and be flexible with assigned priorities
Annual starting salary of $65,000 to $70,000 depending upon experience.
This is a full-time position, with all benefits available after 90 days. These include health insurance, 3 weeks vacation to start (4 weeks after 3 years), and approximately 12 paid holidays. We are an ESOP (Employee Shared Ownership Company) with 49% company stock ownership shared by all employees per a qualification period and a six-year vesting schedule.
This is an on-site position in Berkeley, CA.
DO NOT CONTACT US BY PHONE OR FAX! Individuals who contact us by means other than email will be disqualified.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this opportunity, email your resume with a cover letter by e-mail . Please also forward your online or pdf portfolio. If your qualifications fit well, we will call for a brief phone interview. Top applicants will be scheduled for an interview with portfolio. Feel free to visit our website at www.companion-group.com to view our product categories and to learn more about us.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.