Leatherman Tool Group, Inc. is seeking a Sr. Industrial Designer for our world headquarters located in Portland, Oregon. Leatherman is the world leader in the design and manufacturer of innovative, high quality, compact, multi-purpose tools. We employ over 500 Team Members in our 90,000 square feet facility. Visit our website at: www.leatherman.com
The successful candidate for the Sr. Industrial Designer is responsible for leading, inspiring and mentoring the Product Creation Team toward design solutions that are simultaneously desirable to consumers, technically feasible, viable from a business standpoint and fitting into and support our brand.
Possess an intuitive sense of consumer empathy, research design challenges and present clear direction with compelling perspective. Lead design direction of new products while collaborating with Product Management and Design Engineering. Identify Voice of Consumer through design mapping and potential new innovations by creating solutions that deliver excitement and value to consumers and brand.
Must be capable of hands on work and teaching side by side with a small, dedicated team on a frequent basis.
The ideal candidate must be able to:
• Provide an inspiring, practical and balanced approach (desirability, feasibility and viability) to design and provide leadership throughout the NPD process.
• May be required to provide real-time direction and decision making as dictated by the needs of the team, brand or business.
• Research and identify target consumer needs and relevant trends. Help organize, facilitate and interpret consumer research including field observation, interviews and testing of samples and prototypes. Present outcome in a form that guides and inspires team.
• Follow briefs by collaborating with interdisciplinary team to solve design challenges and deliver solutions consumers value.
• Interpret design ideas and concepts from Design Engineers and others into conceptual renderings.
• Create illustrations that efficiently and artistically convey product concepts and build excitement.
• Produce design work which delivers a sense of scale and realism while meeting brand objectives, cost constraints, manufacturability and user-based function and performance criteria.
• Create design solutions with freehand, 2D, 3D and electronic media and ultimately deliver technically feasible sketches and detailed drawings for final engineering.
• Provide guidance to product teams regarding CMF, graphics, branding and other Industrial Design related action items.
• Manage external Design resources as needed.
• Travel to key markets, trade shows, workshops, conferences etc. as needed.
Experience and Education Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design required.
• Minimum of five years’ experience in Industrial Design required.
• Advanced knowledge of parametric CAD software and surface modelers.
• Excellent skills in interpersonal relationships, communication and teamwork.
• Possess strong written and oral communication skills.
• Work independently and possess a high level of self-motivation and initiative.
• Effectively problem solve, prioritize, and follow through on assignments and projects.
• Must be team-oriented, possess a positive, can-do attitude and work collaboratively and respectfully with others.
• Develops own itinerary and arrangements to travel domestically and internationally as necessary to attend fairs, seminars and perform VOC research.
• Evaluate product recommendations from existing and potential customer/consumer for product feasibility.
• Develops and maintains a system to store and retrieve developments and discoveries.
• May be responsible to lead, mentor and manage other members of the Industrial Design Team.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions/Physical Hazards: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently sit; use hands to handle, grasp, or keyboard; and reach with hands and arms. The employee occasionally stands or walks; climbs; stoops or crouches; pushes/pulls; and talks and hears. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The employee frequently lifts and/or moves up to 5 lbs. and occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office environment, and occasionally exposed to production environment. Work area is well lit and air conditioned.
To Apply: At Leatherman, we are also interested in how you think, behave and integrate. With this in mind, please give extra consideration and time to each question when you apply thru our online applicant module. You will want to allow yourself 30-45 minutes; we do consider this a key part of our selection process. Please attach a resume and watch your email for upcoming communication(s) and information.
Excellent Benefit Package: Competitive Compensation, Bonus Plan with Performance Multiplier, 401k Employer Match up to 5%, Medical, Dental, Life Insurance, Award Winning Wellness Program, PTO, 10 Paid Holidays, Opportunities for Career Advancement and Personal Growth with Educational Reimbursement Program, Employee Assistance Program and Employee Discount on Products. Come be part of the Leatherman Team. Leave nothing undone . . . . Including your career!
Core Values: We thrill our consumers with quality, products, and service; We care about each other’s well-being; We share ideas, challenge each other and do the right thing; We respect each other, show humility and grow from our failures; We foster the development of individuals to reach their greatest potential
Pre-employment background check, drug and alcohol screening is required. Equal Opportunity Employer.