You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as the Director of Materials at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
As the Director of Materials, you'll lead the development and implementation of Herman Miller Materials strategies. You will drive a comprehensive Color, Materials, and Finishes (CMF) offer that expresses Herman Miller's unique point of view on materials, unifies our products when they come together in client environments, inspires specifiers with trend forward and sustainable options, balances inspiration and functionality, and keeps total program costs in balance. You'll also collaborate across the organization to drive the programs, communications, and tools that will position Herman Miller as a Materials leader and support the business goals of our verticals and categories.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you...
- Develop a new approach to the customer experience that synthesizes our Materials offer in line with a Living Office solution context.
- Develop and communicate a Herman Miller point of view on Materials across all business units and geographies, appropriately balancing a global/cross-brand point of view with regional customer needs.
- Direct the ongoing life-cycle management of the Materials offering (adds/deletes and changes) for the North America Contract business.
- Drive best-in-class inspiration and specification tools for internal and external customers, using all appropriate mediums (print, digital, and experiential) as a means of sharing our Materials Program with our targeted audiences.
- Eliminate redundant creative work and tools development and maintenance across the Herman Miller Group.
- Ensure that the design and development results from Materials projects contribute to the business and financial success of products in the marketplace.
- Implement integrated marketing campaigns that elevate the Herman Miller brand through the Materials offer.
- Manage the overall CMF offer for the North America Contract business and coordinate the core offer for all verticals and regions.
- Oversee the development of new materials and finishes to fulfill the strategy for existing and new products. You'll also manage the team responsible for the work.
- Take responsibility for balancing limited total resources with inventory and sampling costs and the needs from across the business for materials that inspire designers and satisfy buyers.
- Take responsibility for continuously driving improved experiences that make Herman Miller the preferred choice to do business with.
- Work closely with counterparts from across the enterprise and develop a comprehensive communication strategy that markets Materials as a differentiated capability of Herman Miller.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have...
- A Bachelor's degree in Business, Operations, Engineering, Textile Sciences, or another applicable discipline.
- A minimum of ten years of relevant experience in product management, product development and/or product design, inclusive specific materials, or CMF.
- Experience working across cross-functional teams.
- Three or more years of leadership experience.
- A demonstrated ability to craft a business and/or project plan(s) and understand the business ramifications of each work component, including scope/resource management, risk management, trade-off analysis, and financial analysis.
- Exceptionally strong relationship and consensus building skills.
- Demonstrated leadership competence as defined in Herman Miller's Leadership Skills and Behaviors.
- Outstanding communication/presentation skills with a proven capability to present complex concepts in a concise and understandable way to a variety of audiences, including senior management, customer groups, and external partners.
- The ability to use a broad business acumen and holistic perspective to see the opportunities and risks of potential trade-offs.
- A deep understanding of and experience in new product development processes, along with an understanding of the operational constraints that often exist when implementing a new palette.
- A demonstrated ability to effectively use the office automation, communication, software, and tools currently being used in the Herman Miller office environment.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.