This is a unique position for a talented 3D Designer (with some 2D skills)!
It requires creative executional work across a variety of responsibilities. This designer would need to feel comfortable taking ownership of the full breadth of an experience design project with guidance and support from the Design Director and/or Head of Design. Their wide range of responsibilities would include; participating in initial brainstorming sessions, conducting site visits and surveys, creating floor and flow plans, developing interior and scenic concepts, building 3D models and rendering ideas for presentations, creating technical drawings for fabrication, laying out simple graphic treatments, prepping files for print and overseeing installations of all design components at the load-in.
It is imperative that this designer is strong communicator and collaborator. They must have basic material/ fabrication knowledge and be able to work creatively and effectively within a budget.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- 3D modeling of environments, displays, installations, etc.
- Ideation and design of custom interior and scenic elements
- Building floor plans — assessing guest flow and estimating capacities
- Development of conceptual design theme — creating cohesive mood boards and mock-ups to communicate ideas to the client
- Design timeline management — strictly adhering to deadlines, updating deliverable dates as necessary
- Managing vendor relationships for both printing and fabrication
- Managing the Design budget — obtaining quotes and tracking/estimating costs actively to keep designs within the allotted buckets provided by the Production lead
- Development of presentation decks
- Delivering and presenting designs directly to clients
- Basic Graphic Design — spatial treatments for environment designs, signage and wayfinding, invitations, etc. (Our staff Graphic Designer will own or collaborate on some, but not all, graphic needs)
- Creation of build drawings for the fabrication of any custom scenic pieces — detailing and specifying dimensions, materials, and finishes
- Prepping graphics for print and creating print mechanicals
- Sourcing props, furniture, and decor
- Mentoring and managing an intern, or freelance support as needed
- Attending site visits to conduct surveys/obtain necessary measurements
- Joining brainstorms and helping to creatively solve for client’s objectives
- Oversight and direction of scenic installations on-site
- Oversight and direction of graphic installations/print vendor management on-site
- On-site styling, as needed
- Developing shot lists for event photographers
- Working with the client development team on design needs for creative proposals
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a background in scenic/interior design or other spatial design decks
- Have, at minimum, a basic understanding of graphic design and related programs
- Demonstrate excellent time management and the ability to work fast and efficiently under tight timelines — manages stress well
- Be a self-starter
- Be highly organized
- Be a team player in a tight-knit office environment
- Love problem-solving - always looking for a good challenge!
- Excellent people and communication skills
- Exceptional collaboration with internal and external teams
- 2+ years professional experience in a related field
- Strong SketchUp and rendering skills, Vectorworks/CAD a plus
- Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite
- Bachelors Degree in Industrial Design, Environmental/Exhibition Design, Architecture, Interior Design or related field
- Must have a great sense of humor and thrive in a creative and social environment
- Must be dog-friendly!
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.