Currently residing in Chicago, IL, I have been a freelance illustrator, designer, and comic book artist for over 15 years. I graduated from the Rochester Institute of Technology in 2001, BFA Illustration, AAS Graphic Design, with a concentration in Creative Writing. I pride myself on being versatile with a voice, fast, reliable, and easy to work with. I am available for freelance, contract, commission, and full/part time work with the right company. Contact me today to get your project started!
JOHN ASHTON GOLDEN Illustration - Graphic Design - Production
312.927.7438 • email@example.com
Education: ROCHESTER INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (RIT) 1997 – 2001 Rochester, NY
Awarded BFA Illustration, AAS Graphic Design, with Creative Writing Concentration
Present – 2010 THREADLESS (SKINNYCORP) Warehouse Wizard Chicago, IL
• Temporary warehouse work. Order fulfillment, packing orders, product stocking, bulk warehouse responsibilities, receiving/cleaning/maintenance/troubleshooting, using company CMS, being awesome.
Present – 2004 MORTAL MIRROR STUDIO Independent Contractor Chicago HQ
• Freelance illustration, graphic design, art direction, apparel design, concept development, comics/storyboards/sequential art, advertising/branding/logos, teaching, caricature/portraits, commissions, original works, etc.
• Clients include: WESTCHESTER COUNTY BUSINESS JOURNAL, TWO HOUR COMEDY HOUR, DEBORAH’S PLACE, RUSH MEMORIAL HOSPITAL, HARDING HOUSE PUBLISHING, LAMPOON THE SYSTEM.COM, AFTER SCHOOL MATTERS / GALLERY 37, RAVEN HAMMER COMICS, MASON CREST PUBLISHERS, PEARSON/SCOTT FORESMAN PUBLISHING, IT CAME FROM LAKE MICHIGAN LLC, RAVENSWOOD PICTURES, POWERS OF THREE PRODUCTIONS, and more.
• Portfolio links: http://www.coroflot.com/johnashtongolden, http://mortal-mirror.deviantart.com/gallery/, http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-ashton-golden.html,
• Samples and referrals available upon request.
2007 - 2006 PUBLICATIONS INTERNATIONAL Art Director Lincolnwood, IL
• Responsible for art direction, thumbnail layout, graphic design, production and management of multiple projects in busy Children’s Electronic Books Department. • Expedited project workflow with team of senior art directors, editors, engineers, and animators to create complex interactive books and packaging based on popular licensed characters. • Maintained knowledge and understanding of numerous licenses, such as Disney, Pixar, Sesame Street, Nickelodeon, Hasbro and more.
2005 - 2002 TRADER JOE’S COMPANY #688 Staff Sign Artist Chicago, IL • Hired as the first full-time artist (establishing a new company hiring policy) in the Trader Joe’s Company due to the quality of my work. Responsible for daily design, illustration, maintenance of handmade shelf tags, chalkboards, informational signage, special projects and painted murals with rapid turnaround.
Skills and Media: Adobe CS5 (Photoshop, Illustator, Indesign), Quark, Microsoft Office. Currently developing Dreamweaver, Flash, HTML and other web design, animation, and interactive media skills. MAC OS, Windows, video game and Internet savvy. Ink, graphite, colored pencil, charcoal, watercolor, gouache, acrylics, oils, pastel, marker, collage, mixed media. Exposure to and some experience with screen printing Guitar. Bikes. Yoga. Kung Fu. Party Hearty.