- + Follow
Senior Designer/Art Director
San Diego, CA
San Diego, CA
An award-winning graphic designer with extensive experience in print publication, art direction, and project management. Book interiors and print editorial design are my primary focus, although I also design jackets and marketing materials. With excellent typographic, layout, and image-editing skills and a strong editorial sensibility, I can provide a thoughtful analysis of a project's design needs, concept development, and art direction and manage the process to final printer-ready files.
Book Design and Print Publication Design
Children's Books—covers and interiors
Proficiency in using MacOSX platform and the following software: Adobe CS5 (InDesign/Photoshop/Illustrator), QuarkXpress, Acrobat, Word; working knowledge of Dreamweaver
San Diego Natural History Museum —San Diego, CA | 2013–Present
Print design of exhibition graphics for a 9000-square-foot permanent exhibit opening in 2014. Developing and creating new graphic identity and implementing consistent visual style for all graphic components, working in close collaboration with museum exhibit designers, content planners, and exhibit fabricators.
GRAPHIC DESIGNER/ART DIRECTOR, FREELANCE
Lydia D'moch Design—San Diego, California | 2009–present
Publication and editorial design, including book interiors/jackets, periodicals, and marketing materials. Expertise in design, layout, typography, editing, art direction, electronic composition, photo editing, image manipulation, illustration and photography, as well as consultation to self-publishers.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company—formerly Harcourt Trade Publishers (San Diego, CA, 1989-2008):
Designed book interiors and jackets of approximately 50 juvenile and adult trade titles per year, from initial concept through bound book. Extensive experience with print production processes, including preparation of photos and files, PDFs, proofing and press checks.
• Managed a sizable workload of diverse book genres and imprints with demonstrated skill at planning, organizing, and prioritizing to meet tight deadlines within budget and schedule parameters.
• Fostered and maintained supportive, collaborative teamwork with clients and colleagues to realize a collective vision.
• Created comps, layouts, and dummies indicating hierarchy of image and text components, and generated expert type specs, electronic composition and pagination, and final printer-ready files.
• Art directed and managed extensive image-driven projects, including photo editing, scanning, image manipulation and maintaining photo archives and files.
• Directed assignments to freelance designers, illustrators and photographers, and worked with printers and other vendors, monitoring schedules and project status.
• Created prototypes and mock-ups for spinoff items and repackaging, and brainstormed ideas for developing new novelty products based on backlist to increase revenue.
The Hunger Project (San Francisco, CA)
Designed newsletters, direct mail, brochures, and other collateral materials for a non-profit organization
GRAPHIC DESIGNER, FREELANCE
(San Francisco, CA)
Book, advertising and marketing design for publishing, advertising and travel industry clients including Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Benjamin-Cummings Publishing Company, American Hawaii Cruises, Scott-Foresman Publishing Company, The Nob Hill Gazette
Harcourt Brace Jovanovich School Publishers (San Francisco, CA)
Designed interiors and covers for literature, history, and social studies textbooks. Developed visual concepts and art directed illustrators and photographers in executing ideas. Created sample pages, layouts, and comps, and monitored all stages of production from manuscript to bound book.
B. A., Scripps College, Claremont, CA
MEMBER, BOARD OF DIRECTORS (current VICE-PRESIDENT)
at Friends of Cats, a non-profit, no-kill shelter (El Cajon, CA,
• Determine, authorize, and implement governance issues relating to employee and feline health and welfare, estate bequests, planning, membership, fundraising and volunteer activities.
• Edit, write feature stories, and manage design and production of the shelter's quarterly newsletter.
• Oversaw the creative process for website redesign, art directed web designer and wrote online content to increase clarity of message and user-friendliness of site.
• Completed the National Fundraising School, professional development training sponsored by the American Humane Association, and participated in other grant writing and fundraising workshops and seminars.
Scripps College, Claremont, CA