- + Follow
Hands-on art director + print design specialist
Leila Singleton is an award-winning graphic designer and art director based in the San Francisco Bay Area, California. Her work appears in over a dozen books and magazines, and has been exhibited in such diverse locations as Times Square and Kharkov, Ukraine. Specialty: Design solutions that consider business and communication strategies in tandem with opportunities for creative innovation.
Invitation: UC Berkeley Optometry Gala
Booklet: Stern Grove Festival Concert Program
Poster: Top Five Benefits of Trees
Freelance print and digital design for clients representing an array of industries, such as the University of California, Berkeley; Stern Grove Festival Association; and Prosper.com.
• Graphic Design USA Magazine: American Graphic Design Awards (x5)
• Academy of Interactive & Visual Arts: Communicator Award of Distinction (x3)
• Creative Quarterly Magazine: Runner-Up, Professional Graphic Design category
• Graphis Poster Annual: Merit Award (x4)
• Academy of Interactive & Visual Arts: Davey Awards Silver Winner (x2)
• Interviewed by Career Contessa and featured on their site
Built design division of nonprofit promoting a premier international destination. As their first-ever in-house designer, I expanded a logo and two fonts into a full-fledged brand look. Additionally, managed outside vendors to ensure consistent look/voice and tended to daily needs of 80+ colleagues.
Graphic Design USA Magazine: American Inhouse Design Awards (x2)
• 33-deliverables-strong campaign for Dine About Town B2C program.
• Year-long, B2B “San Francisco Has Never Looked More Golden” campaign including invitations, HTML emails, booklets, client gifts, sell sheets and more.
• Wrote and designed “SF Snapshot” brochure, distributed to thousands of convention attendees annually.
Intermittent (’98–’07) to full-time (’07–’10) work on projects including print, web design, logos and illustration.
Freelance work published in:
• Big Book of Logos 5
• Business Cards 1: Bright Ideas from Around the World
• Logos 2: Bright Ideas in Logo Design from Around the World
• Design DNA: Logos
Hands-on print + digital design.
• Development of 30+ touchscreen kiosks for Wyoming Travel & Tourism — wrote + presented winning pitch, designed interface, led development team.
• Refresh of Visit Cheyenne’s 20-page visitor’s guide + design of two new brochures to create family of guides.
• Recruitment materials for Laramie County Community College, including statewide print campaign, interactive CD-ROM.
OTHER CLIENTS: Wells Fargo, Frontier Oil (now HollyFrontier Corporation), Wyoming Department of Health, United Way of Laramie County.
Worked in Colorado office of agency that markets top travel, hospitality and entertainment brands. Extensive work, Colorado heritage tourism — proposal writing, research, logo and website comps.
Brainstormed with Kansas City team on their winning pitch to the Colorado Tourism Office for a $14 million marketing contract.
In-house intern for municipal government agency during summer breaks from college. Was allowed to take the reins on a variety of print design projects:
• Large format public displays
• Screen printed t-shirts
• Newspaper ads
• B2C brochures and booklets
• B2B logos
• Classroom worksheets
Projects afforded many opportunities to illustrate and write copy. Additionally, assisted marketing team with daily and backlogged marketing tasks, including updates to CRM database and news clipping logs.
2003: Outstanding Achievement in Graphic Design Award ///// 2002 + 2003: Top-ten rank out of 140, American Institute of Graphic Arts Jacksonville Portfolio Review ///// 1999 – 2003: Recipient of eight institutional and non-institutional scholarships for artistic and academic achievement