- + Follow
Visual Designer | Stratergic Designer
Manish A. Shah
+91 9820 70 4517
06th June 1984
- Master’s in Strategic Design (Product Design) from Poli Technico di Milano, Italy
- Master’s in Design - M.Des (Visual Communication) from Industrial Design Centre (IDC), IIT Bombay.
- Photography 1-year Vocational course from Furgusson College Pune.
- G.D.Arts (Applied Arts) Abhinav Kala Mahavidyalay, Pune.
Three months scholarship offered by the Italian institute of foreign trade called DIMI (Design Innovation made in Italy) at the Poli.Design Consortium in Italy. The program helped me understand the Italian way of design, its business strategies and manufacturing process it also covered various multidisciplinary workshops and industrial visits in Italy which included furniture, transportation and automobile,
life style products, and apparel.
Areas of Interest:
Communication Design, Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Product Design, Concept Art, Photography, Animation, Illustrations,Painting.
Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Keynote.
Professional Work Experience:
Worked for Techfest 2007 & 2008,
2 months Internship at Lopez Design (Delhi)
Conference and Workshops:
Typography Workshop (by NID Prof. Mahendra Patel).
Microsoft Research (MSR) Design Expo’07.
H.C.I. Workshop by Prof. Anirudha Joshi.
1. REDESIGN THE FRONT FASCIA OF THE SCOOTER FOR DADO MOTORS
The project brief was to redesign the front fascia of the existing moped-to enhance the business value proposition for the Italianmarket.
After contextualizing the moped as per the market, the design direction led to the introduction of the concept -“Take-away storage”.
The function of a trolley is added to the front of the bike. This gives it two different looks thereby adding a unique value to the brand
DADO MOTORS (the client).
It was also a challenge to maintain the manufacturing cost as per the client requirement.
2. LIVING KITCHEN - client VALCUCINE
The brief : To design a living kitchen with the essence of Indian values integrated into an Italian vocabulary.
This client project involved understanding and drawing out interesting elements inherent to an Indian kitchen.
The process involved a deep understanding of the Italian lifestyle and the target consumers. It was also important to get study the key players of kitchen manufactures in Italy.
This led to the generation of the concept of “Spirituality” inspired by India. Hence, this kitchen symbolizes freedom, rhythm and harmony within a space. It is free flowing, connecting the cooking space with the living space thereby creating a sense of camaraderie and community building. This is achieved through a common modular element which comes together and gives a feeling of fluidity
3. AN INSTALLATION ON GLOBAL WARMING
This project is not just an attempt at raising awareness regarding global warming but it also attempts to make every individual act responsibly towards the issue. The message is simple “Plant Trees and Save the World”. The thought needs to be accepted that even the smallest gesture can help, which starts with planting a tree. The project strives to create awareness with the addition of modern
technology and networking to keep the interest of the participant alive from the moment of planting to the entire life cycle of the tree.
The networking and locating the participant and the plant on a global map also serves as a motivating factor for future planting.
The project started off as an installation which then grew into a functional product, motivating people to plant trees, nurture them, integrate with a network community (people who have been willing to act) and finally provide feedback for the organization and every individual to track the success.
This project can be considered in two ways. It can be regarded as a preliminary proposal for a far-reaching system that has taken the good ideas from a wide range of sources.
It can also be regarded as a collection of several ideas, many of which can be implemented as standalone products, like :
- The Kiosk can be used as a pure installation simply spreading awareness of planting trees.
- It can also be used by the nursery to sell plants in a different unique manner.
- The organization already working on planting trees could use the web application to keep track over the trees planted by them all
- This web based application could also be used in building up a new community concerned towards nature and share and spread awareness and knowledge.
Though, the real value does not rest in the actual finished concepts alone. A large benefit of this project is the process, parts of which can be recreated to achieve new results.
4. INFORMATION GRAPHICS FOR MUMBAI SUBURBAN RAILWAYS
This project proposes designing the entire journey flow while travelling in Mumbai Suburban Railway, to help easy transition of a commuter, considering the movement and information required at each level, (at the ticket counter, bridge, platform, train...etc considering the dynamic and static type of information.
The project proposes signage elements that communicate the existing railway system to residents and visitors to Mumbai. The signage interacts with its users in a uniform way, the Personalized Map Vending machine, provides paths considering each individual’s needs and preferences.
Also the project can be considered in two ways.
It can be regarded as a preliminary proposal for a far-reaching way finding system that has taken good ideas from a wide range of sources, as well as avoided their mistakes. It can also be regarded as a collection of several ideas, many of which can be implemented as standalone products. Despite the fact that this project did not thoroughly test its concept, the real value does not rest in the actual
finished concepts alone. A large benefit of this project is the process, parts of which can be recreated to achieve new results. Even if the visual language presented in this project is not used, the tools and resources to create a new graphic system are there. Up coming Railway project like Metro train in Mumbai and Delhi can easily create images of their stations with this system.
5. HCI - PATIENT MONITORING SYSTEM For private clinics, an interactive Patient Management Package for private clinics is designed considering the functional, business, marketing and technological goals. This will help doctors provide best possible treatment for patients in least possible waiting time, as doctors earn by time + creating a psychological impact on the patient’s mind of their treatment being started + managing and listing the appointments with patient details easily + strengthening the doctor patient relationship + developing Doctor Brand Management.
6. HCI - GMAIL ON TV
A conceptual model of Gmail on TV was made during our spring course of Human Computer interaction in IIT Bombay. The studies were focused on the cultural and emotional importance of both e-mail and TV for the families in India. The design challenge was to incorporate a private medium into a public platform. The cultural difference between the new and old generations in a family were taken into consideration and the design has attempted to solve this problem by combining the features of Gmail and television into a new social community channel.
- To retain all qualities of Gmail and TV
- Access mails easier and faster
- Least obstruction to the ongoing TV programmes
- An attempt to provide less expensive alternative for e-mailing for not computer savvy people
7. DDS WEBSITE DESIGN http://www.idc.iitb.ac.in/~dds/
8. GRAPHICS DESIGN AND ANIMATION
Various graphics design and animation project worked on as previous academic projects.
Industrial Design Centre, IIT Bombay
Politecnico da Milano University