- + Follow
Freelance Graphic Designer
BOOK DESIGNER—16 yrs experience, 7 onstaff at publishing house. Works fluently with both large publishing companies and self-publishers. Marisa is an extremely devoted and reliable designer. She keeps her clients involved at all stages of a project, and never misses deadlines. Files are clean and ready for press without scrutiny. Her pricing, scheduling and workflow has a flexibility that many large agencies can't offer.
Marisa is skilled in cover and interior design, photo research, and art direction. She keeps up with current industry trends and has experience working with special treatments such as foil, embossing, die-cuts, etc.
ADDICTION/RECOVERY: It's Not About You, Except When It IS
DEVOTIONAL/INSPIRATION: Postive Living Day by Day
FICTION/HISTORICAL: The American Patriot series
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
• Highly skilled in designing for a wide variety of audiences across a broad spectrum of genres and formats—including books, magazines, catalogs, packaging, and collateral materials
• Strong verbal and written communication skills; able to effectively communicate with internal and external clients who have varying degrees of design and production knowledge
• Experienced in a wide range of work flows, proofing methods, and printing processes, including on-site press checks
• Adept at art direction, stock photo and art research, color correcting and editing images
• Fluent in current Mac operating systems and design software; technically adept at troubleshooting hardware and software problems
• Excellent time and budget management skills; able to multi-task and make quick decisions while consistently meeting tight deadlines and budgets
• Expert knowledge of Adobe CS5; Quark 8; Mac OS 10.6; Office; Barcode Pro.
• Highly skilled in all aspects of 1/C and 4/C file production and printing
• Conceptualized and designed complete books as well as catalogs, ads and other promotional material. Clients include: Guideposts, Health Administration Press, Ideals Publications, Sheaf House, and various independent publishers, graphic design agencies and individuals
July 2004–August 2008 Senior Book Designer
September 2001–July 2004 Book Designer
Ideals Publications, a Guideposts company, Nashville, Tennessee
• Instrumental in the launch of the GuidepostsBooks publishing imprint in 2006. Conceptualized and implemented a sophisticated and cohesive look for the initial list of eight titles that set the tone for the ongoing publishing program. Designed a total of 28 titles for the list since 2006.
• Responsible for art direction and design of Ideals, a 64-page, full-color periodical published four to six times yearly. Collaborated with editor to achieve a classic design within tight budget constraints.
• Designed a wide range of products—from gift books, travel guides, and specialty items to children’s board books, picture books, and educational material
• Selected freelance illustrators and provided art direction for cover and interior art; negotiated illustrator contracts
• Designed full-color catalogs and ancillary promotional materials, including advertisements, brochures, posters, and signage
• Achieved on-time and on-budget delivery of products that met highest standards of quality
• Managed production process of each project from design through printed product. Responsible for as many as 15 titles at any given time.
• Communicated with prepress house and printers to achieve high-quality scans and proofs. Built files to printer specs and kept projects flowing smoothly from template to final output.
• Worked with international vendors in Italy, Mexico, China, Singapore, and various U.S. locations
• Provided technical support to other Mac-based staff. Acted as liaison to offsite IT manager
August 2000–December 2000 Graphic Designer
June 2000–August 2000 Graphic Design Intern
Tennessee Performing Arts Center, Nashville, Tennessee
• Translated existing logo design into full range of promotional products for first annual Fest de Ville Nashville. Produced posters, newspaper and magazine ads, brochures, street banners, stage backdrops, festival map, etc.
• Assisted in marketing other TPAC events through ads, programs, mailers, and invitations
August 1996–May 2000 Ad Designer/Production artist
MTSU newspaper, Sidelines, Murfreesboro, Tennessee
• Managed all aspects of ad production. Flight-checked incoming files, designed and output ads, handled paste-up and prep for printer.
• Designed annual 32-page media kit
December 2000 BFA Graphic Design
Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, Tennessee
• Graduated summa cum laude, full-scholarship, with numerous awards, including a 2000 Addy Award (Illustration, student division)
Middle Tennessee State University