A talented, decisive, enthusiastic, energetic, efficient, and detail-oriented, team player with 11 years graphic design experience in the publishing industry. A proven leader with advanced knowledge of design tools and techniques. An effective communicator with the ability to provide clear and detailed direction to design and editorial vendors, as well as present design concepts to design, editorial and high-level leaders. Thrives independently as well as in a team environment. A researcher of current industry trends and standards and fearless innovator willing to explore new avenues to produce compelling and industry leading design solutions.
McGraw-Hill Education, Chicago, IL • 2007–2012
• Successfully managed a struggling full-service vendor on the development of a science handbook and components for three grades. Communicated guidelines and developed an all-digital workflow that redirected the outside design team to complete the project within scope and aesthetics.
• Created innovative designs for a large literacy program and excelled as the lead designer for grades K-2 of course curriculum representing over 4,500 pages of fiction and non-fiction titles, ancillary phonics materials, cards and teacher materials.
• Developed clear and beautiful concepts, prototypes, templates, and guidelines for student and teacher materials.
• Collaborated with the internal design/editorial team and inter-office digital team to develop a unique interface appearance and navigation for a fully online reading and writing program as well as the online teacher’s materials.
• Lead designer on a project to adapt web games into Apps for the iPad, iPhone and Android markets. Provided optimized and reformatted art for each App. Provided solutions for modifying the games for a touch user experience. The result is 10 top-rated mathematics Apps with over 1 million downloads.
• Lead designer for an English and Spanish edition literature program. Managed the vendor and provided strong direction for artist choices and layout. Hand selected artists best suited for each story and created strong sketches and specs to create highly engaging and wide-ranging art styles.
• Provided voice-over talent for new literature Apps and reviewed the builds for final release.
• President and charter member of the Prudent Speakers Toastmasters club (CC and CL.) The club has achieved President’s Distinction two consecutive years. Has won several speaking contests for Table Topics and Evaluation.
• Activities Committee. Helped organize events from birthdays to the company picnics and parties.
• Emergency Response Team.
Anthology, Inc., Arlington Heights, IL • 2005-2007
Designed books and packaging for reading programs by creating story art for illustrators and photographers and composing layouts for book covers and interiors, posters, games, and magazines. Also designed promotional materials for the company.
Freelance designer • 2004-2005
Preface, Inc. (Anthology, Inc.), Schaumburg, IL
Hermann-Adler Design, Evanston, IL
Designed books and packaging for reading programs by creating story art for illustrators and photographers and composing layouts for book covers and interiors.
Rigby Education, Barrington, IL • 2001-2004
Designed books, posters, CD-ROM activities, and packaging for reading programs by creating story art for illustrators and photographers and composing layouts for individual components. Built mock-ups for presentations for a group of high level decision makers. Illustrated art for multi-media and print.