- + Follow
BRAND & INDUSTRIAL DESIGN MANAGER (CONSULTANT)
GE, PHILIPS, GENERAL ELECTRIC, HUNTER FAN, CASABLANCA FAN, JOSS DESIGN GROUP,
MFA Industrial Design (SCAD),
BS Business Administration,
BA Fine Arts,
PRODUCT DESIGN GE examples -- www.staufferdesign.com
INDUSTRIAL DESIGN HUNTER / CASABLANCA examples -- www.staufferdesign.com
INDUSTRIAL DESIGN GE examples -- www.staufferdesign.com
Michael J. Stauffer
Brand & Industrial Design Manager (Consultant)
PLEASE SEE WORK SAMPLES AT: www.staufferdesign.com/gallery.htm
..........BUSINESS & DESIGN QUALIFICATIONS..........
• Product Conceptualization & Creation
• Defining & Executing Design Strategy
• Successful New Product Track Record
• Team Development, Leadership & Optimization
• Project management Expertise
• Brand Language Development & Stewardship
• International Multi-Country Product Development
• Effective Presentations & Communications
• Managing Multiple Projects under Strict Timelines
• Budget Development and Control
• 3-D Thinker; Professional Sketching, Sculptural, & Computer Skills (ALIAS, AutoCAD, Photoshop, etc.)
MICHAEL J. STAUFFER
(Lawrenceville, NJ), 2013 - present
BRAND & DESIGN CONSULTANT
Assist companies to create, manage, and implement impactful brand strategies & design solutions. Clients range from Fortune 10 to Asian manufacturers.
• Create & Implement Design Solutions using rigorous process.
• Continously improve brand postioning through strategic inputs, market research, & brand stewardship expertise. • Collaborate with commercial executives, engineering teams, and marketing teams to support business objectives as well as help mold new directions.
• Create Brand & Design Guidlines and usher packaging/web, new product designs & existing product upgrades through NPD process to ensure brand compliance.
• Develop partnerships with internal & external interests to foster innovative ideas that garner impactful results.
(Burlington. MA), 2012 - 2013
Directed Industrial design team as well as industrial design direction and brand language for PHILIPS Color Kinetics LED professional lighting solutions business. Worked with Product Development Group to create innovative conceptual designs of new products. Supported the group via sketch development, form studies, concept rendering, market/application research and interpretation to drive internal requirements setting and decisions.
• Drove design direction and brand language. Implemented process to develop more consistent design and drive continuous improvement. Collaborated with team to drive design direction for advanced OLED light concept, Medical Lighting product, Recess Linear light, high volume Cove lighting, etc…
• Researched users Lighting Specifiers / Designers and experts at Philips Healthcare. Researched trends at tradeshows (CES, Boston Lights, etc.)
• Managed performance and career growth of my direct report and provided mentoring for continuous improvement.
• Developed Product Design Process which includes project initiation, research, conceptualization, concept development, refinement, finalization, and follow up through manufacturing. Mapped this against the Advanced Development Process and Integrated Product Development process.
GENERAL ELECTRIC CO.
(Princeton, NJ), 2005 - 2012
BRAND & INDUSTRIAL DESIGN MANAGER
Responsible for the definition, direction, design and brand alignment of >$1 Billion of GE licensed products (500K products sold per day). Led Industrial Design program for multi-company/multi-category licensee business. Conceived and executed products (hands-on approach) from concept to production across a wide range of product categories; small kitchen appliances, vacuums, home generators, consumer electronics, phones, digital cameras, flat-panel TV’s, remote controls, and others. Drove business growth through consistent brand execution and product value creation. Worked closely with licensee’s design teams & 3rd party design firms to create new products/modify sourced products to align with consumer expectations and GE brand positioning. Traveled extensively (domestic & international) to ensure successful, timely product execution & interact with customers and key constituents. Continuously invited to participate in key meetings (traditionally absent of designers) to play an active role and provide insight.
• Designed the top-selling products in each of 6 categories at Wal-Mart and 2 second best selling
• Displaced Mr. Coffee as the #1 selling coffeemaker at Wal-Mart with sales 500% better than previous GE model
• Increased blender sales 450% and achieved #2 sales ranking in category
• Product successes rewarded by Wal-Mart with $10MM marketing investment in GE Brand re-launch (print/TV ads, new pkg, etc.) & GE design recognition as a key differentiator that draws consumers into their stores
• Awarded “Consumer Digest” 2011 “Best Buy” for Toaster Oven styling and features
• Received 2008 “Food & Wine” magazine runner-up award for simple, intuitive design on Blender
• Achieved expanded, broad placement at leading retailers of new consumer electronics product designs
• Selected to attend world-renowned GE business leadership training course in Crotonville, NY
• Successfully completed New Manager Development, Finance, Presentation, & Situational Negotiations Skills Courses
• Appointed Design Leader to GE Design Council & D.F.E. Forum composed of Global Design Managers across all GE businesses
• Earned highest GE Peer Award for outstanding or exceptional contributions over & above normal job requirements
• Awarded 2011 GE “Silver” Award for Leadership
• Awarded 2011 GE Licensing “Excellence in Imagination”
• Awarded 2010 GE “Maximizing Hero” Award
HUNTER FAN CO. / CASABLANCA FAN CO.
(Memphis, TN), 2001 - 2005
SENIOR INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER
Assistant to Director of Industrial Design responsible for a variety of product categories, including ceiling fans & accessories, electronic thermostats, air purifiers & other home environment products. Conceived & managed numerous products through the entire design development process. Designed successful new products for multiple brands serving mass and sheltered channels of distribution. Executed products utilizing an expanded variety of materials to increase speed-to-market and reduce costs. Collaborated with Sr. Management, Marketing, Engineering, Outside Model-Makers and 3rd Party Suppliers on product development. Managed product execution on-site at Asian factories.
• Managed 2 direct report designers
• Achieved 48% sales increase versus previous models in the thermostat category. Form language adopted for entire category
• Sales of new air purifier design substantially exceeded customer expectations (sold 12K units in 1 day on HSN alone) and resulted in expanded placement of that model & the adoption of its form language for the entire product line
• Sent on road show to represented company in new product press briefings, presenting new products to major publication’s editors and home products writers including “Popular Mechanics”, “Better Homes and Gardens”, “Southern Living”, “House Beautiful”, and others.
• Designs consistently featured on the front covers of both premium-brand’s and sub-brand’s catalogs – Majority of designs remain in product lines today despite typical 20%/Yr turn-over
• Successfully executed breakthrough designs through the deployment of new, alternate technologies & materials
• Contributed to major turn-around of acquired Casablanca brand from a loss to the highest profit in the company
JOSS DESIGN GROUP
(Chicago, IL), 2001-2001
PRODUCT DESIGN INTERN
Participant in a fast-paced team-design environment at Design Consultancy. Collaborated on a variety of designs. Contributed ideas for concepts through ideation sketching, concept boards, model making, research & CAD drawings. Worked on a range of consumer products.
SAVANNAH COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN (SCAD)
(Savannah, GA), 2000 Winter
GRADUATE TEACHING INTERN
Led and taught students in the history, design methodology, and fabrication of products.
ROGERS & BROWN, INTL' FREIGHT FORWARDER, INC.
(Charleston, SC), 1996-1997
Responsible for Eastman Chemical Co. containerized shipments to Europe, Asia & Australia where I expedited Container Shipments. Resolved in-transit issues to ensure timely shipment and trained other employees to facilitate shipments. Worked independently and in a team environment in a high-pressure, detail-laden environment. Developed productive relationships that emphasized and drove excellent customer service.
SAVANNAH COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN (SCAD)
(Savannah, GA), 1998-2000
MFA Industrial Design GPA = 3.74 / 4.0
• President - IDSA student chapter
• President – Industrial Design Graduate Student Society
• Won 2nd/15 teams in competition to design optical glasses
• Exhibited 2 designs - 1999 IDSA Southern Conference
Graduate Teaching Intern: led & taught students in the history, design methodology, and fabrication of products. 2000 Winter
COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON
(Charleston, SC), 1991-1995
BS Business Administration
BA Studio Art (sculpture, painting, drawing)
• Minor in Languages and International Business
• Intermodal Transportation Professional Training Course Certification 1996-1997
Universidad Nacional Autonoma de México (UNAM)
(Mexico City, Mexico), 1996 Spring
(Cuernavaca, Mexico), 1995 Autumn
Institute of Spanish Studies
(Valencia, Spain), 1993 Summer
St. James School
(Saint James, MD), 1987-1991
Savannah College of Art and Design
College of Charleston