I am a professional accessory and bag designer with nearly 12 years of experience. I began my career in the outdoor industry, and have expanded into the luggage, back to school, lifestyle, and computer bag markets. I employ a clean, modern approach to design, while never losing sight of the practical logistics of successful product development and end user functionality.
• Professional designer and developer in the soft goods, bag and accessories industry with over a decade of experience.
• Development Manager experience at The North Face.
• A thorough and complete understanding of all aspects of bag and pack design, specification and development, from inception to production delivery.
• Well versed in costing- BOM analysis, FOB and LDP, methods of reducing product cost without compromising quality.
• Detailed understanding of fabrics, trims and processes.
• Extensive experience working in Asian factories, factory contacts in Korea, China, Taiwan, Vietnam and the Philippines.
• A large network of Asian suppliers to draw upon.
• Expert in the use of Adobe CS5.
• Extensive portfolio of freelance designs.
• Improved development and specification systems while manager at The North Face.
• Successfully led the TNF development team, contributing to increased profit and growth in the Equipment division.
• Managed TNF luggage program, with a $100,000 budget for custom tooling.
• Managed development of the award winning Primero pack at TNF, featuring an injection molded EVA suspension.
• Transformed the Hydrapak line into a cohesive and competitive collection.
Lightning Packs, LLC (began as freelance client)
Pack Designer and Developer
Supervisor: Dr., Lawrence Rome
April 2007 to March 2010
Lightning Packs is a start up company in Philadelphia, financed by grants from the Office of Naval Research and the National Institute of Health. Originally they were a freelance client, and I was officially hired as an employee in the Fall of 2008.
Lightning Packs is developing two backpack technologies for the Marine Corps: one that generates electricity through the kinetic motion of the pack load on a spring, and another which reduces the forces exerted on the user from the load, by suspending the pack body from bungee cords and a pulley system.
My role at Lightning Packs was lead pack designer and developer (for the pack bodies themselves, much of the system is mechanical and electronic). I decided to leave LP as the development became increasingly focused on the mechanical and electronic components.
Freelance Designer and Developer
January 2007 to Present
As a freelance contractor, I have worked with many
excellent companies. Please see my online portfolio for a select group of designs.
• ELLE branded Luggage (through a Hong Kong licensee)
• Accessory Network Group (New York luggage and handbag holding company)
• Lightning Packs, LLC (prior to being hired as an employee)
• Higher Ground (Laptop and iPad cases)
• Carolina Pad and Paper (back to school bags, women’s clutches)
• Hydrapak (hydration packs)
• Specialized (urban lifestyle and cycling bags)
• Giant Bicycles (urban lifestyle and cycling bags)
• Smart Design (soft goods medical device project)
• Levenger (executive cases and bags)
• Overland Equipment (women’s bags)
• Sherpa Adventure Gear (technical outdoor)
• Haiku by Sharon Eisenhauer (women’s lifestyle bags)
• Vestal (urban lifestyle bags)
• Mission Playground (women’s lifestyle bags)
• Smith Optics (urban lifestyle bags)
• Tahoe SUP (stand up paddleboard accessories)
• Cisco (laptop cases)
Development Manager, Equipment, The North Face
San Leandro, CA
May 2004 to January 2007
Product Developer, Packs and Luggage
Development Manager from 12/05 to 1/07 for Packs, Tents and Sleeping Bags
Four direct reports.
Supervisor: Wade Woodfill- 510-531-5152
Department Head, Equipment
Responsible for development of over $100 million of product in the pack, tent and sleeping bag categories. I had four direct reports with plans to add new staff for 2007.
A summary of my duties include:
• Interviewing and hiring new Developers. Reviewing their progress throughout the year and conducting evaluations.
• Ensuring that Development meets all goals on time and within cost.
• Guiding prototype process from initial sample to bulk production.
• Timeline management for Fall, Spring and Back to School seasons.
• Functioning as main liaison for our VF Asia office and overseas factories and suppliers.
• Costing BOM analysis to meet target FOBs on all styles.
• Conducting product reviews, fit testing and field testing in conjunction with fellow Developers and Designers. Ensuring proper fit and function for all product within determined fit criteria.
• Allocating and managing workload amongst all Developers.
• Spec writing and maintenance for styles I personally managed, using Web PDM system (large volume packs, technical climbing packs).
• Scheduling development trips to China and Vietnam. Travelling myself to Vietnam, China and Hong Kong 4 or more times per year.
• Devising and implementing processes and procedures for greater efficiency, accuracy and documentation within Development and its interface with Design and Dept. Director.
• Providing support to TNF QA where needed.
• Sourcing and managing development of custom molded hard goods, foam components, suspension systems, etc., for special projects falling outside the scope of TNF Trims Dept.
• Visiting and evaluating potential vendors for custom sub assemblies, and new factories for pack production.
• Working closely with our Trims and Materials Dept. on development for normal timeline trims and fabrics.
• Working with our Dept. Director, Design Director and Product Manager to guide the department toward ever greater innovation, technology and profitability.
• All other duties pertaining to product development.
Vista, CA, 2004
Employed as a luggage developer and designer for a brief period before being recruited to The North Face.
HS Industries, Inc.
Product Designer/Developer/Graphic Artist
Third party pack manufacturer and sourcing agent, Boulder, CO.
September 2000 to March 2004
Greg Hine, President 303-442-2670
Developed and designed packs for a variety of customers including REI, Brooks, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, and Lands’ End, amongst others. In addition to packs, HSI designed and developed a full range of sport specific socks that I was actively involved in, for customers such as Salomon, Brooks, Asics, Pearl Izumi, Spyder and others.
Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree, Pacific NW College of Art, Portland, OR., graduated 1992
Training in graphic design, graphics software, html, Auto CAD.
I am expert in the use of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Microsoft Word, and proficient in Excel.