15 years + industry experience as a designer working on graphics, packaging, branding and POS. My goal is to be the best I can be and to work with others of a similar thinking.
I am currently on maternity leave. I will be available from April/May 2013 after a short break.
*branding & brand manipulation
*packaging mock-up work for promotion
*repeat patterns - interiors, fabric and print
I have worked for big brands such as Paperchase, Barbie, Joseph Joseph, Next, Persil and Mark & Spencer.
I am invited by Chelsea College of Art as a visiting designer to critique students' work on the BA Interior and Spacial Design course.
Fragrance and Toiletries - packaging and gifting
Cosmetics Gifting Range Concepts
Skincare - Product and packaging design
I am reliable, hard working and self-motivated and enjoy working on a wide variety of projects, covering design disciplines from initial conception all the way through to final artwork and production. I have strong communication and administration skills and a keen eye for detail.
I have over 10 years hands-on experience working with high street retailers supplying beauty products, cosmetics and gift packaging, brand design and graphic & product design. Illustration has always been a hobby and I enjoy working illustrative ideas into a 'home' environment for furnishing and decoration. This is a new side to my portfolio which I am continuing to progress. I also have extensive experience briefing and working with external design agencies and suppliers.
2010 - present - Freelance Senior Designer working with a range of clients across the country on packaging, illustration for interior/home decoration and graphics for gifting and beauty products, fragrance and cosmetics supplied to various high street retailers including Boots, JospehJoseph, Paperchase, Next, Marks & Spencer and Superdrug.
2003 – 2010 Senior Designer - LF Beauty Ltd (subject to management take-over from PBFA Ltd)
My role involved the design of toiletries & gifts supplied to high street retailers such as Marks & Spencer, Next, John Lewis and Boots.
• Responsible for one of M&S’s biggest, longest standing and most popular bodycare ranges, “Florals”, with approximately a £9 million annual turnover.
• My responsibilities included day-to-day management of our small design studio.
• Designed packaging and branding, created mock-ups for presentation and updated existing branding and designs concepts.
• Briefed external design agencies and suppliers where necessary, sourced images, produced trend work and presented to buyers.
• Developed ideas and took final designs through to artwork and managed print production.
• Twice a year I oversaw work done by students who visited our company for work experience and enjoyed the challenges it brought.
• Worked closely with the Hong Kong team and regularly discussed sourcing requirements for future ranges.
• Learned the skill of good communication and accurate briefing through working with international teams and suppliers.
• Worked to tight deadlines and ever decreasing budgets - used knowledge of materials, print processes and techniques to save on cost without jeopardising quality.
• Worked to strict branding guidelines with M&S biggest brands such as Per Una and Autograph.
• Brought in-house design facilities to the PBFA/LF Beauty gift department for the first time, maximised profitability by saving 75% of outsourcing costs. Made the design process 3 times faster, more efficient and much more responsive to customers' needs.
• Travelled to the Far East annually to meet with the team in Hong Kong, dealt face to face with suppliers, managed print proofing and briefed new projects.
2002 – 2003 Barbie Designer - Entertainment Rights Plc (contract)
Maternity cover at Entertainment Rights, who owned the Mattel licence for all UK Barbie Consumer Products.
• Oversaw and approved designs for Barbie Consumer Products in a wide variety of areas including footwear, clothing, home furnishings, and stationery.
• Designed various products for the Barbie brand when required ranging from furniture, gifts and hair accessories.
• Worked with 85 licensees countrywide discussing and advising on design direction for new products, ensuring Mattel's global marketing strategies were followed within the constraints of the UK market.
• Designed hair accessories for Barbie Licensee - sold in Claire’s Accessories.
• Managed and designed display and POS stands for various licensees exhibiting at the 2003 British Toy Fair.
• Presentation of the Barbie style guide throughout the country to Barbie Licensees. Made each presentation relevant to each company’s products and strengths.
1997 - 2002 Design Manager & Co-Director - Inch Perfect Design Limited
After graduating I started a small, multi-disciplined design company with a colleague. During my 5 years with Inch Perfect I had the opportunities to work on a wide variety of briefs.
• Worked from a broad spectrum of disciplines: brand identity, brochure design and POS, through to retail & packaging design, product concepts, interior design and the Inch Perfect website design.
• Clients ranged from advertising agencies to cosmetics manufacturers (Cosmetics A La Carte), gift shops and children’s toy manufacturers.
• Worked on all aspects of account handling from initial client liaison through to final presentations.
• Produced cash flows and client budget sheets, sourced external suppliers and dealt with general office management and organisation.
• Designed and dressed the press briefing centre at IPC Magazines for Persil Capsules launch 2001 and Comfort Forme launch 2002.
• Reached the finals in the Times & Gestetner Digital Office Collection 2001 for the interior design and project management of the creative office at Duckworth Finn Grubb Waters, Soho.
• Design and research for children’s outdoor toy manufacturer, Hedstrom UK. Presented ideas for 2001 summer product range to a team of 20 board members. The products are now among Hedstrom’s most popular.
1996 Set Design Assistant - BBC
After a week’s trial, I was offered unpaid work experience during the summer working on the set of the television series Red Dwarf for the BBC. As well as constructing and decorating sets in the studio I worked in the prop department with the Prop Master, being generally 'creative with junk"!
1994 - 1997 Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design, London
Honours degree in Product Design - 2:1 with honours. I also represented fellow students in termly meetings with the course directors and the college dean.
1993 - 1994 North Hertfordshire College, Shephalbury, Stevenage, Herts.
BTEC National Diploma in Art and Design Foundation Studies - Distinction.
1986 - 1993 Hitchin Girls' School, Hitchin, Herts.
9 GCSE's with grades A to C
A' levels in Technology and Art
Hobbies and Interests
I enjoy cooking and eating good food in the company of friends and family. I enjoy visiting art galleries - the National Portrait Gallery, Tate Modern, and the V&A are among my favourites. I am keen reader of many types of fiction and enjoy anything by John Irving. I really enjoy travelling and have great memories of trips made to Egypt, India and a European motorbike trip, to name a few. I ride a motorbike and have a keen interest in MotoGP, Formula 1 racing and I am a dedicated football fan.
Available on Request
Central St. Martins College of Art & Design
•Packaging design for M&S Per Una & Autograph.
•Packaging design for Joseph Joseph kitchen products.
•Barbie display stands design for British Toy Fair.
•Design and dressing press room - Persil Capsules & Comfort Forme launches.
•Article published for interior design client in Elle Decoration.