GTECH (GREY TECHNOLOGY LTD) (March 2010 - Present) - Industrial Designer
Last year I moved to Worcester to the relatively small floor care brand in order to progress several new products. As part of a team of 3 industrial designers we succeeded in creating one of the most advanced cord free vacuum cleaners to date.
• Responsibilities included front end development for new product proposals, identifying who the products would be aimed at and how they would specifically be targeted.
• Created concept sketches and construct ergonomic studies to determine product validity.
• Conducted intensive ethnographic studies to highlight unforeseen design pathways.
• Analysed consumer trends and user lifestyles to determine product styling and functionality.
• Fully realised concepts into detailed engineered tangible products using Pro Engineer Wildfire 4, including component cost down iterations.
• Presented all findings to the company Chairman as well as to internal marketing and sales teams in order to incorporate feedback from other departments.
• Travelled to manufacturing partners in mainland China to oversee tooling production and product testing.
KEDEL Ltd Recycled Plastic Products (2009 - Present) - Industrial Designer
Towards the end of 2009, myself and 6 other family members began a journey to become the UK’s premier brand for recycled plastic products. Now in our second year of trading we have experienced huge growth and now supply to a number of large online and catalogue distribution companies. We aim to be different.
• Analysed the market as a whole in order to target specific products suitable for the company in its early stages.
• Manufactured and developed all prototypes during my spare time to reduce costs due to a limited start up budget.
• Rationalised designs and liaised with external manufacturers and suppliers to outsource more complex production processes.
• Created instruction manuals with an emphasis on brand identity and ease of use.
• Due to the success of one of the educational products, a further 17 have been developed specifically for schools, to be sold by the largest distributor to the education system within the UK.
• Continually innovate in an industry that shows little imagination.
4D Products Ltd (2009 - Present) - Concept Designer
I’ve had the pleasure of working with the guys over at 4D products on a number of occasions primarily as a concept designer. Each day is a new challenge due to the wide variety of projects and tight timescales that the company work towards. I learnt how to communicate as a designer here.
• Initially contracted to produce visuals to present to Puma and Ferrari at the Monaco Grand Prix based upon a patented mechanism.
• Later recalled to conduct front end research and concept generation for a diverse range of projects from medical to consumer goods.
• Presented to company directors and prospective clients to advance the consultancy in a critical stage of their growth.
• Assisted in the early stages of a medical device that became runner up in the North West Bio Now awards.
8th Wonder Ltd (2008)
Generation of toy concepts for clients including Woolworths, Asda and the Walmart Group. Liasing with China based factories to advance concepts to production with one product resulting in 20,000 units produced.
Glasdon UK (2007-2008)
The re-design of a number of faltering products within their range. Producing technical drawings and physical models and prototypes to define solutions. Interacting with current and potential suppliers to increase company exposure and reputation.
MSc Advanced Product Design (Distinction)
University of Wales Institute Cardiff (2008-2009)
BSc Product Design (Honours)
University of Central Lancashire (2005-2007)
UCLAN Best of Show 07
The only English male to complete the course out of an original total of 29
Napkin Labs best Innovator award 09