- + Follow
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom
You can view most of my current work on the Dalvey website at: www.dalvey.com. It should be noted that I am responsible for the design of more than 80% of them (excluding apparel).
During the past 10 years I have worked closely with vendors in Hong Kong and China, cultivating excellent working relationships. I believe my vast experience and design skills could prove valuable to any company looking for design to the highest standard.
Weekender Travel Bags in leather & canvas
Fine Italian Leather Briefcase
Automatic Sports Watch
Royal College of Art M.A. (R.C.A.) Industrial Design
1985 – 1987
Whilst at the RCA my major piece was a ‘Gentleman’s Dresser’, which was very well received and appeared in an article in Vogue magazine as well as being used for a double page advert produced by the Cotton Council, appearing in many magazines such as Tattler, Cosmopolitan & Vogue.
Glasgow School of Art B.A. (Honours) Industrial Design (2.1)
1981 – 1985
At GSA I was classically trained as a designer in furniture, interior and industrial design before specializing in industrial design in my final year.
Skills & Qualities:
• A vast wealth of design & manufacturing experience
• A unique aesthetic & design flair
• Excellent problem solver
• Can swiftly visualise ideas whose construction details & function are fully integrated & viable without compromising aesthetics.
• Considerable knowledge and experience in materials, & manufacturing in China.
• Ability to work on a wide range of projects, through from concept to manufacture.
• Good humoured personality with a good ‘can do attitude’ and ability to work on my own as well as part of a team.
• CAD literate – Siemens Solid Edge & Photoshop and willing to learn any other CAD programs as required.
• A passion for watch design
1995 - present day: Grants of Dalvey Ltd. - Design Director:
Grant of Dalvey Ltd. is a design lead company based in the Highlands of Scotland specialising in the design and manufacture of high end men’s accessories, selling in over 50 countries world-wide. Please visit: www.dalvey.com to view the extensive Dalvey brand’s range of products.
• Responsible for the design of over 80% of Dalvey’s vast range of luxury products. This includes; cuff links, canvas & leather travel bags, briefcases, watches, clocks, writing instruments, wallets, umbrellas, desk furniture and shaving accessories.
• Contributing to the progression of the Dalvey Brand.
• Design of branded packaging and sourcing supply from China.
• Product concept generation, detailing, technical drawings as well as sourcing suppliers and working closely with vendors in Hong Kong & mainland China as well as Italy and Germany.
• Sourcing manufacturing processes and materials such as stainless steel pressing, forging, MIM, casting, PVD, plastic injection moulding, leather, wood, fabric and packaging.
• Design watches from movement selection to final production.
• Design, manage and over-see products from concept, through production and on to the market place.
• Designing and supervising Dalvey’s flagship store on Dublin’s prestigious Grafton Street. This involved designing every detail including lighting, cases, materials and layout. As well as working closely with shop fitters, architects and case manufacturers.
1995: Spiral Product Design:
Spiral Product Design is a London based design manufacturing company with a manufacturing base in India and supplies, among others; Crate & Barrel, The Conran Shop and Marks & Spencer.
Freelance project to design a range of brass & aluminium cast Christmas items for their major client Crate & Barrel.
1987 – 1995: Superframe Ltd. – Design Director
Superframe Ltd. was a Hertfordshire based retail equipment manufacturing company, specialising in design led retail solutions.
• Responsible for enabling Superframe to diversify from producing acrylic photo frames for the trade market into specialising in bespoke acrylic retail display.
• By working closely with the sales team I was able to provide the company with the ability to win major clients such as Tesco, Safeway and Marks & Spencer through interactive design solutions.
• Establishing the company’s in-house design team.
1988: Boules Fashion – Freelance:
Working in association with Din Associates and Jeff Banks on retail displays for his chain of London based fashion shops.
1987: Din Associates – Freelance:
1987 Freelance retail design consultant for Din Associates in London, working on Next Jewellery Shop display cases.
1987: Conran Design Group - Freelance:
Worked at Habitat’s studios in Tottenham Court Road on retail display system for a Habitat superstore. I also worked within the furniture design department culminating in the ‘Liege’ table.
1983: Rolls Royce Ltd.
Whilst at Glasgow School of Art, I worked for a summer at Rolls Royce Ltd., Hillington as their in house graphic designer. Whilst there I also helped to compile and catalogue photographic exhibits for the City of Glasgow’s 602 Spitfire Squadron.
Cultural and natural history, travel, cycling, walking, movies and reading.
Royal College of Art