- + Follow
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA
I am a multi disciplinary designer with projects in the practices of Retail design, Exhibit Design, Office design and planning, Web design & development, Packaging, Branding and Print. I have worked with many different business segments and have domestic and international clients.
26 Commercial Blvd Suite L
Novato CA. 94949
Creative Director, Design Director, Multi Disciplinary Designer
Multifaceted Creative leader with over 20 years’ experience reinventing and revitalizing international, domestic and regional brands for Fortune 500 companies as well as high-growth startups. Proven ability to lead teams of creative professionals to create meaningful, profitable and highly innovative design solutions, through all phases of the design, implementation, launch and marketing process.
Hands-on designer and thought leader with talent for providing mentorship to people in the creative professions, uniting efforts and motivation from Client Relationships through Creative Services, Marketing, Programming & Engineering; skilled at building, customer and client relations that develop into lasting and highly profitable relationships.
Directorial Oversight / Design Expertise
Web Design and Development
Exhibit & Interactive Kiosk Design
Virtual World Design
User Interface-Experience Design
Account & Client Management
Social Media and Digital Media
Brand & Design Stewardship
Graphics, Packaging, Signage
Retail & Environmental Design
3D Modeling and Animation
Project Team Management
Creative, Branding and Project Leadership
- Headed hundreds of branding and online projects from account acquisition through final delivery: pitch-proposal-contract, creative briefs, PR/branding/online strategy, account management, 2D-3D visualization.
- Developed and managed budgets ranging from $10,000 to $2,000,000 for creative and brand projects requiring careful coordination of 3-20 client-side staff and consultants including copywriters, designers, illustrators, photographers, fabricators, print vendors, and programmers/engineers.
- Led translation of creative ideation to marketing campaigns and support: trade show booths, exhibits, manuals, advertising, packaging, web and digital to provide clients a complete 'go-to-market' package.
- Designed and implemented numerous multi-facility branded environments for industry leading retail and consumer products companies.
TECHNOLOGY, USER EXPERIENCE, INTERFACE AND INTERACTIVE Leadership
- Leveraged user-focused information architecture, web design and web 2.0 branding strategies, including content and SEO, nomenclature and user experience, online virtual worlds, e-commerce, and online social networking spaces.
- Spearheaded implementation of content management system (CMS) projected to save $300,000 in web development and maintenance expenses.
- Led development of scalable Graphical User Interface for on-line game and promotions network.
- Scalable Graphical User Interface for distributed inter- and intra-enterprise integration/collaboration system.
- Consultant for Graphical User Interface and motion graphics for touch screen interface.
- Designed and directed the Graphical User Interface and motion graphics for many Flash-based web sites and online demonstrations.
- Developed 3D, browser based, product demonstrations for on-line customer research.
- Integrated transmedia, leveraging the individual strengths of multiple story telling platforms, into interactive exhibit and retail spaces.
CREATIVE DIRECTOR/ PRINCIPAL
KÜNGDESIGN, NOVATO CA 1991-PRESENT
Co-founded multi-disciplinary branding and strategic design consulting agency, landing big-name clients such as INTEL, GATX Capital, Dreyer’s & Edy’s Grand Ice Cream, ATA Retail Services, Arsoa (Japan), Beverages & more!, Grocery Outlet, The Wine Group, Bechtel, and the Olympics, as well as startups and emerging organizations in need of distinct, distinguished brand and creative solutions. Clients also include leading creative & branding studios including Landor Associates, CKS/MarchFirst, Primo Angeli, Luxon-Carra, Eight Inc., The CSK Group.
Serving multiple roles: creative director, brand strategist, designer, project and team leader. Providing leadership in exploring and utilizing new interactive technologies and networks.
Snowpeach, San Rafael, CA 2002 - 2003
Co-founder and creative lead of startup SOHO/SMB product: website SAAS for small business. Led team in development of subscription-model, web-based CMS that integrated online site-creation product with highly brandable interface, SEO, email and site management tools. Defined customer interactions, information hierarchy and overall look and feel. Worked directly with CTO in defining and development of product.
SENIOR DESIGNER, ASSOCIATE
Landor Associates 1981 - 1991
Hands-on director of design, leading teams for domestic and international clientele. These projects included architecture, interior retail design, environmental graphics, and exhibit design. Careful analysis of Strategic brand positioning and extension was part of every project.
Responsibilities included concept ideation and design, international and domestic design team direction, team budget management, client liaison, design presentation, and implementation supervision.
Projects included Shell Oil, Stat Oil, Krystals, Snoopy’s Gardens, Air India, Circus World Toys, ANZ Bank (Australia), Mazda, Toyota, Arco, Anew (Japan), Stop & Go.
BSc, Environmental Design, Art Center College of Design, Graduated with Honors 1981
BFA, Painting & Drawing, University of Calgary, 1979
Mac & Windows, Adobe Creative Suite, Strata 3D modeling and rendering, Trimble SketchUp, Word, PowerPoint, Keynote, Fastrack Schedule, Omni Graffle, Mac iWork suite. Second Life Modeling tools and scripting. Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro and Motion. HTML, CSS, FLASH AS2, Wordpress CMS.
Available online at http://www.kungdesign.com
BSc, Environmental Design, Art Center College of Design, Graduated with Honors
BFA, Painting & Drawing, University of Calgary