Four + years experience in freelance industrial, footwear and softgoods design - eight years as a full time in-house designer for leading design consultancies and sports brands.
Efficient and organized Senior Industrial Designer with experience in design research and strategy, concept design, and development for footwear, sports, consumer & industrial products.
Diverse international work experience managing products and teams for small and large brands, both as a consultant and in-house designer.
I consistently deliver appropriate, attractive and on-time product solutions with distinctive features through rapid research of contemporary cultures and technologies.
ID+ DESIGN SERVICES Portland, OR
- freelance industrial design consulting -
Over the last few years I have specialized in helping brands in outdoor and action sports grow through unique design solutions.
Freelance projects include:
- Multiple footwear concept projects applying innovative new materials and constructions for one of the top outdoor footwear brands (confidential because it is ongoing).
- Second place winner in the Oregon Manifest bicycle design competition, the world’s first bicycle with Halo Coatings' patented retro-reflective powder coat paint. A "Bentley of city bikes" that amplifies safety and practicality with style. It was even featured in a Wall Street Journal article http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204226204576603301772974170.html#articleTabs%3Dslideshow
- A project recently featured on CNN Money: I designed an easily produced, used, cleaned and customized arm attachment for Equipois. It comfortably connects people of all sizes to the X-AR, an ergonomic exoskeletal arm that reduces injuries, increases stamina and precision, and makes tools weightless - all while preserving freedom of movement. http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2011/03/24/t-tt-robot-arm.cnnmoney/
- Innovative packable and ultra lightweight lifestyle footwear, unique patented adjustable sandals, and many accessories for outdoor brands Wenger and Swiss Gear.
- A line of rugged and stylish bags for the US Marine Corps license.
- On-trend and eye-catching hats and belts for the hot young snowboard brand Grenade.
- Design/development of high value and high comfort snowboard boots for Celsius.
- New logo and branding strategy for the relaunch of Wild Things extreme weather gear for alpinists and US Special Forces.
- iPhone apps, concepts and gaming content for Exponential Entertainment (MSN, Amazon, Facebook movie-related gaming).
- Design and strategy of shoes and speakers with LifeStyleDesign.
- A proposal for Gansevoort Hotel’s multi-function lounge with Geyrhalter Design.
- Soccer bags, headwear and technical performance socks for adidas.
- Together with SuperHappyBunny Co. we developed three beverage container concepts from blue-sky ideation to coordinating manufacturing bids.
- While working with Johnson Controls Inc. I collaborated on two projects researching automobile markets and trends. Developed design strategies based on insights. Led one project that provided a recipe for JCI designers to address the hopes and fears of hard-to-please Baby Boomers.
- Developed branding, identity and packaging for Himalayan Tea Company.
- Information graphics for Poorman-Douglas (legal consulting).
- Also developed brand, logo and graphic program for Knomi (a business strategy consulting firm).
(2008 - NOW)
HO SPORTS, HYPERLITE & BYERLY Redmond, WA
- waterskiing and wakeboarding gear -
Spent six months in Asia sourcing a new factory, innovating new construction techniques, and designing/developing a full line (23 models) of boots. Managed complete footwear process for three brands across two sports. Went from concepts to market with the lightest boots in the industry, the brand’s best-fitting and best-performing boots ever, and many industry-first features in only ten months. Working closely with pros I designed wakeboard boots for four world champions and one rider even won the Junior Pro Tour on sales samples.
(2006 - 2008)
NEW BALANCE / DUNHAM Brighton, MA
- casual & performance outdoor footwear -
Helped grow and evolve the classic Dunham brand with innovative designs aimed at younger, hipper outdoor enthusiasts and outdoor specialty retail channels. Grew women’s business by 30% and helped get Dunham into more specialty stores.
(2005 - 2006)
ERGONOMIDESIGN Stockholm, Sweden
- industrial design -
Together with a very talented team we designed many Red Dot and IDEA award-winning industrial design and strategy projects for the largest design firm in Scandinavia. Designed a full line of work gloves that solved fingertip sensitivity issues. Collaborated on design of an award-winning and much-imitated ergonomic bicycle hand grip. Refined a design and branding strategy for over 7000 products for Bahco. Worked on footstools and baby carriers for Baby Bjorn. Prototyped more ergonomic hand controls for Volvo trucks. (One year Swedish work visa.)
(2003 - 2004)
BYSTED A/S Copenhagen, Denmark
- architecture modeler and graphic design -
Worked on model for Danish Pavilion at Expo 2000 and graphics for classic Danish furniture manufacturer Fritz Hansen's trade show booth. (Left to attend Art Center)
ZIBA DESIGN Portland, OR
- research and design planning -
Problem definition, context analysis, and opportunity recommendation for product designers. Assisted on in-depth research into: medical and consumer product markets, use environments and technologies, ergonomic issues, use scenarios and end-user interviews.
(1996 - 1998)
ART CENTER COLLEGE OF DESIGN Pasadena, CA
B.S. in Product Design
WILLIAMS COLLEGE Williamstown, MA
B.A. in Studio Arts (architecture)
Minor in art history.
DANISH INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL Copenhagen, DK
Studio and design history courses.
Visited architectural and design landmarks throughout Scandinavia.
FSU STUDY ABROAD Florence, Italy
Studied art history, italian language, culture and economics.