- + Follow
Designer at Yabu Pushelberg
An unconvential background such as mine brings with it a number of influences that greatly affect my work. Apart from having degrees and experience in both Architecture and in Industrial Design, I was fortunate enough to have both my childhood and adulthood years divided across two continents - something that I believe has given me an appreciation for the relevance of cultural influences on design.
As such I find myself doing a lot of different things at the moment - I’m currently the Design Manager of TYTHEdesign, a company that lends design-based support to organisations in the social sector.
I am also a Co-founder of Far Found, a diverse group of designers from Brooklyn who collaborate purely for the love of design.
As such I find myself doing a lot of different things at the moment which have made it much clearer to me what I don’t want to do rather than what I do want to do. However, what I do know is that while I will always pursue my love of architecture and furniture, I’m most passionate about footwear and design for the social sector.
- Yabu Pushelberg
- Nov 2011 - Present (2 years 1 month)
- Far Found
- Aug 2011 - Present (2 years 4 months)
The greatest strength of the designers of FAR FOUND is their many differences from one another. They come from a broad spectrum of heritages, namely Colombian, Polish-American, Chinese-American, Burmese-Canadian and Indian, with equally varied professional and life experiences. This dynamic mix of experiences drives us to question thoroughly, experiment boldly and, most importantly, to inspire each other. Just as our diversity enriches our lives, we desire to bring the same complex cultural experience into our design process.
- May 2009 - Present (4 years 7 months)
• TYTHEdesign focuses on the goals and needs of agencies working in the social sector, from non-profits to social venture to community agencies.
• I apply design based approaches to support their needs and goals.
• These solutions can be in the form of products, graphic collateral, website development or system design.
• I assess an organization's impact and help create practical, appropriate, affordable, and sustainable solutions.
• As design manager I am responsible for analyzing the brief, the conceptualization and overseeing the direction of each project.
- West Elm
- Jun 2011 - Aug 2011 (2 months)
• Designing elements of indoor furniture, lighting and household accessories for the Fall 2012 line.
• Coordinating with the Head of Design, West Elm
• Predicting trends and opportunities in furniture and accessories markets.
- Rapid Prototyping Lab, Department of Industrial Design
- Sep 2008 - May 2011 (2 years 8 months)
• In my time there I saw a desperate need to buy new equipment but no plans were in place as the department was struggling to find funding. As a result I created, pitched and was approved for a long term budgeting plan for the procurement of new equipment by coordinating between the Industrial Design, Interior Design and Grant Writing departments. This plan has already been instituted and a new laser cutter and 4’X4’ CNC were purchased this summer to help alleviate the stress on the existing machines.
• Oversaw the hiring, organization and management of 15 student employees every semester.
• Consists of a Universal X-660 laser cutter, Dimension BST-1200 3D printer, Roland MDX-540 CNC and vinyl cutters.
• Understanding design ideas and production processes to resolve how they may be best matched or adapted.
• In charge of the overall functioning, maintenance and organization of the lab and also with coordination between students, faculty and other personnel who sought to use the facilities of the lab.
- Object Agency
- Jan 2010 - Nov 2010 (10 months)
• As the only Industrial Designer on staff I was in charge of developing all the custom furniture, displays and accessories in all the showroom and trade show projects we had.
• I also help conceptualize and realize other products that we developed independently.
• With my background in Architecture, I was also heavily involved in the spatial organization and development.
• I coordinated with manufacturers and suppliers for samples, pricing and orders.
• Worked on CAD drawings, renderings, sketches and prototypes.
- Architecture Paradigm
- Jan 2007 - Aug 2008 (1 year 7 months)
• 4 completed projects where I was involved from the first client meeting to the final site hand over.
• As an architect I was in charge of my projects from the initial client meeting and brief understanding, conceptualization, development, details, construction documents, sanction documents, client meetings, structural coordination, contractor coordination, site management, finishes and accessory selection with the clients, interior design, custom furniture development and fabrication management and final site hand over.
• I started as a trainee but at the end of a year I was involved in trainee selection and hiring and also had 2 trainees under my charge for the various projects I was involved in.
• Worked on CAD drawings, renderings and physical model making.
• In my time at the firm I was involved in 12 projects of which I was completely responsible for 10 of them and in the short time I saw 4 projects from start to client hand over.
- Masters Industrial Design
- 2008 - 2011
R. V. College of Engineering, Bangalore
- B.Arch Architecture
- 2002 - 2007
Christ College - Bangalore
- Pre University Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology
- 2000 - 2002
St. Josephs Boys High School
- 1995 - 2000
2010 Finalist, WilsonArt Student Design Challenge
2007 Pidilite Award for Excellence in Architectural Studies, Thesis
2007 Award for Excellence in Thesis, School of Architecture, R.V.C.E