I am a guy from Vancouver settled here in the UK and working as a freelance designer .
I have made my mark in diverse industries ranging from POS & Retail design, Medical and assistive devices, Soft-goods and accessories, fine art and also Vancouver's extensive Film and TV scene.
I strive to bring meaning, purpose, intuitive function and safe operation to whatever I create. Always keen to absorb new techniques and advance my skills; I am a fast learner who adapts well and loves working with people.
I am a creative designer experienced in 3D CAD, research & prototyping, product development and design engineering. My recent work has centred on medical and mechanical products, Design Engineering for a major lighting manufacturer and retail and POS design for luxury brands, technology and apparel. I am responsible for managing concurrent projects from concept and development to manufacturing locally and overseas. My true calling lies in innovation and creating useful equipment and items people enjoy. My background in outside sales prior to my design career has me confident and comfortable in client-facing situations. Originally from Vancouver, I moved to the UK in 2007 for the interesting opportunity to live and work abroad.
I create joy, interest, good form and intelligence in the things I produce. Respecting and appreciating the details, history and potential in objects, I bring meaning, purpose, intuitive function and safe operation to whatever I create. Keenly absorbing new techniques and advancing my skills - I am a fast learner who adapts well and loves working with people.
Rapid Visualization, good drawing skills
Prototyping (metal, wood, foam, card, plastic, STL)
Design for Assembly, Design for Manufacturing
Soft-goods design and sewing, tensile structures
Special FX for Film & TV, Painting and Illustration
SolidWorks 2012, Rhino 3D
MS Office, Adobe CS
Cycling, Skateboarding and Snowboarding
Yoga, Fitness and health
2003 – 2006 EMILY CARR INSTITUTE OF ART & DESIGN
Bachelor of Design (Industrial Design) -”A” (First hons)
Product design, rapid visualization, advanced assembly and mass-production
Media: Wood manufacturing, Plastics, Textiles, Metalwork, Digital 2D/3D Design
(SolidWorks + CosmosWorks FEA, Rhino 3D + Rendering Packages, and Adobe CS)
2000 VANCOUVER FILM SCHOOL
Introduction to 3D Studio Max (3D Modelling & Animation)
PRODUCT DESIGN EXPERIENCE
2000 - Now Freelance Product Design & Design Engineering
Design work on a freelance/contract basis on products of interest.
• POS & Retail design (creative & development) for a variety of clients.
• Therapeutic toys, Mobility & Assistive devices, Wearables, Packaging, soft-goods & accessories.
• Design Engineering - Special projects for Cooper Lighting & Safety on a contract basis.
At Cooper I use SolidWorks 2012 for design work, SAP Enterprise Resource Planning to organize BOMs and materials, and we use Radan for programming sheet metal work. I am also responsible for creating wiring diagrams for each project.
Oct 11 – Apr 12 Jenx Ltd. – Design Team Leader
Design Management for a leading manufacturer of postural support products and therapeutic furniture.
• Leading a design team consisting of: 3 product designers, an Engineer and a soft-goods upholstery developer.
• Development of new products and improving existing products using SolidWorks 2012
• Maintaining quality standards, usability and designing for compliance with CE regulations for medical devices.
• The mission here is to transform the lives of children with a wide range of disabilities through products which allow them to gain skills which give them independence and dignity.
• My role involves project planning and management, research into new products and writing the design briefs.
• Managing the path from prototyping to testing and bringing the design into production.
• Product features: Metal fabrication, Plastic fabrication, Mechanisms, Die casting, Injection moulding, PU Foam moulding, ergonomics and upholstery.
May 10 – Oct 11 Sheridan&Co – Development Designer
Design and development for a leading international retail design agency:
• 3D modelling, Design development and creation of drawings using SolidWorks 2011 with PDM Works.
• Retail and POP design for luxury brands: Dunhill, Gucci, D&G, Laura Mercier, Urban Decay and Grey Goose.
• Design and development of store sites for Yoo Moo, a new-launch frozen yoghurt brand in the UK.
• Travelling abroad (Middle East, Asia) to supervise and participate in installations and to uphold quality control.
• Travelling for client and supplier meetings, site surveys, conferences & tradeshows.
• Leadership in Sheridan&Co’s innovation panel and membership on the “Right First Time” committee - Charged with research and implementation of positive change and improvement in procedures and relationship management across all departments in Britain and the USA.
Apr 08 – Oct 09 Centre Design Ltd - Product Designer
Design of large-scale exhibition and animation projects for British and European retail environments:
• Contribution of fresh and innovative ideas and crucial management of the design process on multiple projects.
• Understanding materials, costs, priorities and processes in taking products from raw idea to manufacturing.
• Developing characters, decorations, and interactive environments with animatronics, tensile structures and interactive software. Co-ordination with vendors in the UK and abroad.
• Structural analyses and creation of manuals and installation guides for products on-site.
3m Aluminium Snowball: Flat-pack design simplified the manufacturing, installation, refurbishment and transportation of this product at lower cost over the product’s lifecycle. My development brought improved durability of fragile spines, increased LED light capacity and cut the weight in half.
Transport Stillages: I developed collapsible stillages to store and transport different fragile and bulky decorations on a strict budget. They roll smoothly, fit truck lifts and double doors and store flat on location. Reason for leaving: Made redundant due to economic climate
Aug 06 – Apr 07 Lululemon Athletica - Contract Designer, 50/50 Duffel
Hybrid duffel/backpack created for lululemon, an international yoga inspired athletic apparel company
• 100% sell through internationally (USA, Canada, Asia, Australia)
• I was responsible for this product from clean start to finished product, working to a brief and strict budget
• Ideation was informed by my user-focused and commercial research and refined to 3 strong concepts presented to the CEO, who chose the direction from my designs.
• I developed the ideal shape, size, and mechanics of the bag with card models and fabric prototypes
• I prepared the CAD spec-pack and bill of materials using Adobe Illustrator for manufacturing overseas.
• Sample bags were user tested and revised to develop the successful final product.
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
Sept 07 – Mar 08 Teacher of Art & Design - North Doncaster Technology College
Instructor in subject matter such as: Elements of Art, Portraiture, and Art History. KS5 and 6th form pupils learned aspects of Product Design and Applied Art such as: perspective drawing, ideation and concept development, prototyping, documentation of the design process, and also shop techniques, materials and safety. I prepared lessons to accommodate all learning styles and ability levels, and was responsible for monitoring and recording pupils’ achievements and progress, reporting to the head of the art department and senior management team.
Jul 03 – Aug 07 Special FX Artist & Props Fabricator - WCT Productions (Vancouver)
The team at WCT Productions is one of the foremost in Vancouver’s thriving film industry.
I worked on special makeup FX, Prosthetics, Animatronics for Feature Films & TV.
I worked on these shows and more: X-Men III, The Last Mimsy, Smallville, Tin Man, Wrong Turn 2, Reaper (TV)
Skills: Sculpture, casting, mold-making, painting/colouring and fabrication
Reason for leaving: Relocation to UK