- + Follow
User Experience Designer
A senior-level Information Architect and User Interface Designer that is passionate about creating a positive user experience. With over fifteen years of experience in design and website development, I solve complex user-centered problems throughout a product's life-cycle with UXD principles and visual design best practices. <br> <br> Give me a call or email me - I would love to discuss your design project with you!
Analyze and develop intra-web enhancements as well as conduct IA/UXD responsibilities for Pathfinder, a $10M initiative for an HR portal that compiles all of PNC’s HR Resources into one convenient location for their employees.
Projects: Employee Portal, and Manager Resource View
● Perform user needs assessments, business analysis, and define high-end business requirements.
● Analyze current applications and ensure that no tasks are omitted in the transfer to the new portal system.
● Produce wireframes and prototypes in several formats for usability studies and business reviews.
● Developed and maintain the pattern documentation for the portal’s interactive features. Ensure standards are adhered to.
● Conduct requirement meetings with business stakeholders.
Industry: eCommerce/Biotechnology Industry
Developed website design enhancements and conducted IA/UXD responsibilities for FisherSci.com, an e-commerce website which generates over $1B in revenue a year. Was a member of the team that worked closely with IBM in the complete redesign and implementation of Thermo.com.
Projects: Search Utilizing Endeca's Search Engine, Thermo.com Website Redesign, User Account and Admin Screens and Procurement Application Enhancements
• Performed user needs assessments, business analysis, and defined requirements.
• Evaluated and assessed existing components of the site, documenting legacy features.
• Produced wireframes and prototypes in several formats for usability studies and business reviews.
• Facilitated usability tests with customers and conducted UAT with business stakeholders utilizing high-fidelity prototypes.
• Developed and maintained the Pattern Library for the redesigned Thermo.com site.
• Developed Competitive Features Analysis book for Fisher Scientific, highlighting functionality of their top 10 competitors.
Companies included Vertis Communications and MdNetSolutions
Accounts: Dick's Sporting Goods, a full-line sporting goods retailer operating 315 stores in 34 states, and MdNetSolutions, a startup that specialized in online marketing and lead-based tracking systems for bariatric practices.
• Managed a small creative team that conceptualized, designed, and implemented a new online initiative that included editorial components and interactive online circulars.
• Performed the asessment and design of UI for a new initiative of online circular sales.
• Managed communication of scheduled work to the traffic coordinator and outside vendors.
• Directed the design work of junior designers and collaborated with outside developers on website development.
• Assessed clients’ current website architecture and provided heuristic assessments of the UI and proposed options which would afford opportunities for future site expansion.
• Analyzed content inventory and proposed areas to the client where content could be enhanced in new website designs.
• Produced and designed storyboards, wireframes, prototypes of UI for presentations, client approvals, and team reviews.
• Suggested to clients opportunities for SEO on legacy interfaces and transferred proposals to new designs.
• Researched and analyzed developing trends in social websites, web applications, and mobile applications that would generate interest in the bariatric community.
Industry: Education - Homebuilding/Real Estate
Project lead for a $4M initiative for Pulte Homes' Online Building Encyclopedia. Additional responsibilities included developing marketing and LMS websites.
Accounts: Pulte Homes, Morrison Homes, Beazer Homes, John Laing Homes, K Hovnanian and Shea Homes.
• Managed a team of writers, outside vendors, and web developers on a per-project basis.
• Produced storyboards, wireframes, and prototypes of user interfaces for brainstorming sessions, user testing, group presentations and client approvals.
• Performed analyses of architecture, usability, and design of user interfaces for online products in various phases of development.
• Collaborated with a team of writers, subject matter experts and developers to produce online courses.
• Developed use cases and guided project teams in the planning and implementation of user interfaces and courseware based on documentation findings.
• Researched online trends and made recommendations for future implementations of mobile applications into legacy applications and newly developed products.
• Managed a development group that maintained and updated the company's four marketing sites, as well as the production of two sites in development.
Industry: Education - Higher Education
A member of a startup established by one of the largest providers of private post-secondary education in North America; Education Management Corporation. The team was responsible for the development of the company's online presence for their product lines, researching SEO and online trends and the development of interactive courses for the newly implemented LMS.
Accounts: The Art Institutes, Argosy University, South University and Brown Mackie College
• Directed the design of mini-marketing sites, as well as managed the maintenance of larger, more established sites.
• Managed external and offshore vendors, as well as collaborated with various Education Department Heads, the Marketing Producer, and internal developers throughout a project's lifecycle.
• Produced wireframes and design prototypes of user interfaces for board presentations and client approvals.
• Member of Creative Team for Curriculum Development; Developed and created media support materials for new online courses. Lead offshore development in the review of online courseware and development.ded: art directing photo shoots, digitally enhancing photos and creating multimedia segments for courses.
Industry: Healthcare, Education and Research
Developed numerous websites, online solutions, and interactive courses for one of the premiere women care hospitals in the nation. Projects included: Center of Excellence Site, Online Pharmaceutical Inventory Application, Find a Physician, Maternity Ward Virtual Tour, Magee Birthday Party Site, Mammogram Registry, and the Center for Disabilities Website with Appointment Registration.
Accounts: Magee-Womens Hospital, The Research Institute, International Womencare Foundation and UPMC
• Assessed the information architecture of websites and reviewed website navigational schemes and content inventory. Made change recommendations to clients utilizing storyboarding, wire frames and design prototypes.
• Analyzed legacy interfaces and provided usability recommendations based on contextual inquiry and user testing results.
• Supervised external vendor work, junior staff and design interns.
Senior Graphic Designer responsible for supporting a $4M telecommunications account. Met with clients, assessed their needs, and presented various solutions to clients.
Accounts: Penn Telecom, Pittsburgh Penguins, Goldstock Jewelers and DUQ Radio
• Met with clients, assessed and interpreted their needs visually.
• Project managed individual client projects.
• Created electronic art/illustrations and photo illustrations.
• Designed logos, identity packages, collateral material, direct mail, identity pieces, multimedia presentations, web site, banner design as well as signage and environmental graphics.
Graphic designer for a design shop with a strong reputation for identity branding and product marketing. Developed and designed identity packages and identity manuals for print and web. Lead in the definition and writing of multimedia and web standards.
Accounts: Mellon Financial, Tuscarora Plastics, Utilisaver, International Water Engineers, Orr Foundation and Betsy Ann Chocolates
• Designed logos, identity packages, collateral materials, ads, environmental graphics and other support materials consistent with the branding objective. Developed and designed identity manuals for print, as well as multimedia and web standards.
Created a variety of print and multimedia graphic design materials for Pittsburgh advertising agencies and design firms such as: Adam Filippo & Associates, Gray Baumgarten Layport, Inc., The St. George Group, Pittsburgh Pirates, MARC Advertising, The Carnegie Museum of Natural History, The Andy Warhol Museum, and The Carnegie Museum of Art. Accounts: Transitions (eyewear), Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh Penguins, Rite Aid, The Carnegie Museums, University of Pittsburgh and Allegheny General
Created, revised and assisted in the design and development of advertising and collateral materials. Lead and organized the steering committee that developed the agency's new web site and interactive group.
Accounts: Wesley-Jessen (a division of Bausch and Lomb), Independent Health, M&T Bank, Buffalo Bills and Palace Brands Liquor
Currently working on my Masters in HCI through DePaul's online distance program.